Siemens Research Scientist / R&D Embedded Networks Developer in Princeton, New Jersey
Research Scientist / R&D Embedded Networks Developer
Locations:Princeton, New Jersey
Job Family: Research & Development
Division: Corporate Technology
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 201931
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services. Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth. For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
The Research in Digitalization and Automation (RDA), as part of Siemens Corporate Technology (CT), is at the heart of Siemens R&D. Our deep competence and expertise make us the preferred partner for innovation. We develop technologies with wide applicability so that Siemens may successfully bring innovations to market. Our scientists located around the world help create and retain a technological edge for Siemens in the focus area of automation, electrification and industrial digitalization.
Siemens CT is seeking a R&D Embedded Networks Developer to be part of our Embedded Networks Research Group in the Technology Field of Networks and Communication based in Princeton, NJ, US.
The Embedded Networks Research Group focuses on communication technologies for embedded networks, aiming at revolutionize industrial processes and systems with cutting edge web technologies. The group has been active in the Web of Things community, bringing connectivity to both legacy devices and next generation products. The group has also been leading the effort in standardizing and developing communication stacks for Electromobility, supporting Siemens vision to achieve Zero Emission, and piloting worldwide deployment of high power charging stations for electrical buses and cars.
The focus of this position will be design and implementation of application software on embedded systems for R&D projects. The initial projects include electric vehicle network applications and its integration into Siemens automation systems. Integration of Web of Things technology for embedded systems is also part of the responsibility. This position reports to the Head of Research Group, Embedded Networks US in the Network and Communication Technology Field.
The candidate will be responsible for the design and implementation of electric vehicle network based application on resource-constrained micro controller based platforms, exploring feasibility of web technologies for these devices, building up demonstrators and prototypes to showcase the R&D projects of the research group. The candidate will work closely with the team members and be directly involved in the R&D projects of the group.
• Responsible for the high quality/stability of the design and implementation of distributed applications on embedded systems.
• Contribute with demonstrations to the strategic research positioning of the RG
• Setup the pilot platform and tooling for rapid prototyping of web based applications on small micro controllers.
• Mentoring interns for prototype based projects
• Sync the applicable tools with the international R&D teams of the RG
• Contribution to technology R&D Roadmap of the group
• Support in building up an electrical lab for development of embedded systems.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
• 6+ years of development experience for embedded systems
• Interdisciplinary technology experience, ideally in the area of automation technologies and web applications.
• Expert in embedded micro controller development and HW prototypes
• Experienced in embedded programming (C, embedded C, etc. ), demonstrated through previous work experience and/or open source projects
• Experienced in the usage of web tools and technologies
• Experienced in developing flexible systems for rapid prototyping of pilots
• Active involvement in the embedded systems and web developer community
• Knowledge of communication stacks of today’s web and IoT
• Knowledge/experience in implementation of IoT and distributed web applications
• Capability to put ideas into practices
• Ability and motivation to learn and use new technologies
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English
• The ability to multitask and make lead contributions in several projects.
• Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on: http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy‐guidance/deemed‐ exports/deemed‐exports‐faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Implementation experience with micro controllers e.g. such based on ARM Cortex M4
• Experience with distributed web applications and technologies (JSAN, XML, XSD, Java Script, node.JS) e.g. as part of open source projects
• Part of the Web and IoT community or open source activity
• Understanding the business of Siemens to identify and apply use cases for new technologies to contribute to Siemens business growth.
• Experience working with international and multi‐cultural teams.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/PayTransparencyNotice_JRFQA508c.pdf .