United States Steel Management Associate - Maintenance in Portage, Indiana
Management Associate - Maintenance
Auto req ID7692BR
State/ProvinceUS - IN
Work Location - CityPortage
Company OverviewSteel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.
Job DescriptionEngineering in Plant Maintenance is a core component of our business and key to our success as one of the world’s largest steel producers. Our Facilities operate 24/7, 365 days a year. Position requires rotating work schedules, weekends and/or holidays. Management Associate is an entry-level role designed to provide wide ranging, value-added exposure to prepare the college graduate for future advancements and supervisory responsibilities within the Plant. Management Associates are provided 24 months of training across multiple functional areas with work assignments designed to assist with personal and skill-set development. This role includes a rotational assignment within the plant.
Your responsibilities would be to successfully learn to:
• Apply engineering and/or business principles and problem solving techniques in a manufacturing environment to ensure maximum operating efficiency while handling the pressure of managing a production crew in a heavily unionized environment.
• Supervise, direct, and coordinate the efforts of experienced technicians to keep the production operations running at maximum efficiency with minimum interruption; consult with other production and maintenance managers, plant engineers, staff professionals, and outside equipment manufacturers; and select, train, and supervise employees.
• Make design modifications to existing equipment to reduce maintenance improve reliability and improve product quality. Performing equipment failure analysis and making appropriate recommendations.
• Review proposed equipment replacement or upgrades, including capital projects with multi-million dollar budgets.
• Work with consultants and equipment vendors to ensure process requirements and applicable standards and codes are met.
• Engage in maintenance planning functions to minimize downtime; investigate process improvements and participate in facilities upgrades.
Supervise and oversee maintenance activity for pickling operations at Midwest Plant.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering Technology.
• Graduated within the last three years from an accredited college or university at the time of hire
• Must have less than three years of professional work experience
• Extensive computer skills with Microsoft Office products
• Candidate must have the ability to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Prior internship a plus
Preferred SkillsWe are looking for motivated self-starters that can work in a fast paced, data-driven environment. The successful undergraduate will be an analytical problem solver, have an extremely high level of customer focus and a passion for process improvement. In addition, a successful intern will have:
• Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and an aptitude for your area of study
• A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
• A willingness to take initiative to understand the business
• An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
• A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
• Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
• The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Leadership and strong decision-making skills
• Ability to think and act both strategically and tactically
Competency SummaryAs an individual contributor, qualified candidates for this role also must demonstrate the ability to champion change and effective communication while contributing to team success.
Equal Employment OpportunityU. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results & accountability, and focus on cost, quality, and customer. We promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
Apply to job Save to cart View similar jobs