General Motors Supplier Quality Sr Engineer - ENG0032048 in Pontiac, Michigan
High Pressure Die Cast Supplier Quality Engineer – Powertrain Transmission SMT
At General Motors, we’re building on our recent momentum and we’re changing the way we do business. We are recruiting talented individuals from the nation’s top universities, Fortune 100 companies, and other highly technical automotive and non-automotive organizations.
Now in our second century, we are seeking the next generation of “game-changers” – those who can usher in a new era of automotive innovation and creative thought. Are you energetic? Are you highly motivated? Do you have a natural curiosity to solve problems and improve the greater team? If so, take a look at the opportunity below!
About the Supplier Quality Engineer role:
The Supplier Quality Engineer will be the technical liaison between purchasing, GM product engineering, internal manufacturing, and our supply base. In this role, the Supplier Quality Engineer will work with the suppliers to resolve supplier manufacturing issues, implement and monitor advanced quality planning / systems, and provide technical support throughout the lifecycle of a particular commodity. This particular subject matter expert will have a deep understanding and experience in high pressure aluminum die cast. Other casting experiences such as squeeze casting and/or magnesium casting are a plus.
The Supplier Quality Engineer will be responsible for:
- Assuring supplier understanding of product and APQP submission requirements.
- Reviewing / approving supplier quality plans for new production ready components and new powertrain programs.
- Reviewing supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems.
- Implementing and monitoring supplier part qualification and certification processes.
- Determining root cause of supplier manufacturing problems and implementing a timely, effective, and efficient quality resolutions.
- Improving quality performance of suppliers by conducting onsite workshops at supplier locations, providing technical assistance in developing a robust quality system, or other technical support as required.
- Providing technical assistance during supplier start up and change activities.
The Die Cast Subject Matter Expert will also have:
- Experience in High Pressure Aluminum Die Casting tooling, process controls, and alloy / metal quality integrity.
- Understanding in root cause analysis and correlating casting defects to process parameters, tooling adjustments, and/or metal quality.
- Ability to read both 2D casting / machining prints and 3D casting / tooling models.
- Ability to interpret and recommend iterations to mold flow analysis and studies.
- Knowledge of current industry standards and future industry trends.
- Ability to network and leverage the casting supply base / community for lessons learned and read across of best practices.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- At least 5 years of experience in foundry quality, engineering / tooling design, or manufacturing.
- Proficient in print reading and interpretation / communication of part measurements. Understanding of print GD&T.
- Demonstrated knowledge of probability, statistical quality control, design of experiments, lean concepts, statistical problem solving, and six sigma (DMAIC).
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing and assembly plant processes, procedures, facilities and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate quality problems and to apply sound technical judgment to develop potential solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and lead diverse cross functional teams simultaneously.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
- Previous coursework / experience in probability and statistics, SPC.
- Manufacturing Engineering and or Process Engineer experience in high speed assembly, electronics, casting, and/or machining.
- Tier I or automotive OEM experience in an aluminum die cast / foundry environment.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (preferred mechanical, electrical, materials, or chemical) or related technical field.
- Master’s degree in Business or Engineering a plus.
Why General Motors?
GM is a place where you’ll have the opportunity to grow both personally as well as professionally. We are a large global manufacturing enterprise with over a hundred years of automotive experience and a diverse workforce. Our people and our products are recognized around the world. Our people and our products are core to our future. Our people and our products make us GM.