General Motors Mechanical Engineer - FAC0000388 in Pontiac, Michigan
General Motors (NYSE: GM, TSX: GMM) is a globally renowned mobility technology company with roots tracing back to 1908. Today, with 215,000+ employees spread across 396 facilities in more than 100 countries around the globe, GM offers exciting careers designing, engineering and building some of the world’s most advanced vehicles and personal mobility solutions.
Our culture is centered on being Made For More. It’s a concept reflecting our constant pursuit and confident expectation for more out of life—for our company, for our planet, for our customers, and for ourselves. Because our work goes beyond making cars; it’s about allowing people greater access to and more meaningful interactions with the world around them.
As state-of-the-art technologies continue to transform the automotive industry, GM is committed to maintaining its position as an industry leader and establishing its innovative vision for the future of transportation. Learn more athttp://careers.gm.com.
Mission: Design, build and sell the world's best vehicles.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and
requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Develop project criteria/scope and direct facility mechanical system design activities on major engineering and maintenance projects. Facility mechanical system responsibilities to include: heating, ventilation, air conditioning, boilers, chilled water, welder water, compressed air, natural gas, mechanical piping systems, tank farms, lift stations, process fluid delivery systems, fire suppression, and energy conservation initiatives.
- Seek new technology applications and creative methods for accomplishing objectives. Develop, document, and continuously improve facility mechanical common systems/ standards through Life Cycle Cost studies, and value engineering analysis.
- Provide conceptual design and engineering for assigned projects, and oversee the development of mechanical design and construction documents for issuance of Contractor bid packages.
- Direct and monitor Engineering firms for compliance with project scope of requirements.
- Lead multiple and concurrent projects as the project mechanical engineer coordinating with other GM organizations.
- Provide technical consultation, including analyzing facility mechanical system problems in the field, asset condition evaluations, and recommend solutions to GM plants and Divisions.
- Lead and coordinate mechanical stakeholders during the development of the mechanical portions of RFPS, owner reviews, construction bid package development, shop drawing review process, the development of document clarifications, and field orders to insure they are processed in a timely manner to meet the project schedule milestones.
- Provide mechanical cost estimating for developed scope of requirements for assigned projects.
- Develop and maintain standards, guidelines, common systems and best practices.
- Conduct material & systems assessments, drive cost savings and continuous improvements process for the GM Global Facilities Mechanical Common Systems, Specifications, and estimating database.
- Provide technical support of Health and Safety issues and solving of complex problems.
- Provide code and regulatory analysis and interpretation for the company.
- Inspect and test for compliance the products being manufactured for projects by various mechanical systems vendors for assigned projects.
- Ensure that the work is in compliance with mechanical plans and specifications.
- Support the Project Managers that are ultimate responsibility for delivering facilities projects.
- Actively participate in the development of the mechanical engineering scope, proposal review, and the award of purchase orders for Architectural-Engineering services.
- Represent GM in industry/professional organizations and Global Facilities on Corporate committees.
- Adhere to Project Planning Process and Project Management Process (Takes on role of GF Project Team when not involved) including but not limited to: SORdevelopment, cost estimates, pre-bid activities, construction meetings, safety pre-task plans, contract compliance, ensure timely completion or adherence to budget and quality, project close-out activities.
- Acts as the advocate and is responsible for all mechanical asset sustainment categories; oversees successful replacement and refurbishment plans, facility condition assessment, and execution of asset sustainment plan and strategies.
- Responsible for the technical review to ensure compliance with GM Guidelines,General Terms and Conditions, all applicable licensing, codes, permits, andregulations from authorities regarding construction documents from the architectural/engineering and Sub-Contractors.
- Optimize building and facility projects guided by industry benchmark standards and design for maintainability guidelines including but not limited to: maintainability, serviceability, cleanability and layout.
- Support and adhere to the GM Process Risk Management (PRM) process andassist in resolution of all non-compliance issues.
- Stay current as a leader in your field of expertise in facility technologies and processes including but not limited to: codes, building technologies, energy and building management systems, best practices, and certifications.
- Supports all approved project budgets including but not limited to: forecasting,accruals, invoice process, ensuring allocated, committed, and spent funds are balanced.
- Respond to and supports business related disruptions (planned or unplanned) following the escalation process including but not limited to: supportingemergency response plans, disaster recovery plans, and business resumptionand continuity process.
- Supports and drives successful planning and execution of all Global Facilities-Global Manufacturing System principles and elements within their portfolio.
- Coordinate and ensure compliance with environmental regulations while supporting and promoting environmental activities/initiatives such as ProjectGREEN, Wildlife Habitat Council, EnergyStar, LEED, and landfill free.
- Adhere and comply with all internal control policies applicable to GF including but not limited to: training, access control, and Signature AuthorizationDatabase.
Basic Qualifications and Skills;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of mechanical systems building design, codes (NFPA and ASHRE, etc.) and specifications.
- Minimum 5 years Facility Mechanical System engineering design experience in heating, ventilation, air conditioning, boilers, chilled water, welder water, compressed air, natural gas, mechanical piping systems, tank farms, lift stations, process fluid delivery systems, and energy conservation initiatives.
- Experience with the design and engineering analysis of complex mechanical systems and issues.
- Experience supervising engineering document development and of contractual criteria and negotiation of costs for additional work.
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and with others.
- Demonstrated ability to manage numerous issues and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated team leadership, and maintenance project management experience.
- Demonstrated planning, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of automotive manufacturing and nonmanufacturing facilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and globally
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have a knowledge of 3D facility design software, and GM Graphics Standards.
- Must be familiar with preparing status reports, reading specifications and drawings, verifying contractor work, timeline management, including critical path, and payment process, etc..
- Must have the ability to analyze systems and processes, industry trends and then makes changes needed to benefit the Global Facilities organization and GM.
- Demonstrates initiative and high level of independent judgment.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Exhibit professional demeanor in working with GM Business partners, consultants, contractors, and suppliers.
Education and Training;
- BS Mechanical Engineering (MS Preferred)
- Licensed Professional Mechanical Engineer
- Minimum 5 years, preferred 10 years designing industrial building mechanical systems.
- Technical aptitude in business application software and other related electronic tools
- Preferred applicable professional certifications.
- Action Oriented
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Business Acumen
- Customer Focus
- Timely Decision Making
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Drive for Results
- Time Management
- Proficient Oral and Written Communications