Indian Health Service Lead Security Guard in Pinon, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Pinon, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (10 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (1 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. The purpose of this position is to serve as a lead person for 16 security guards. Incumbent performs the same kind of work and level as that done by the team lead. As a lead security guard, incumbent is responsible to his/her supervisor for ensuring that the work assignments of the other security guards of the team lead are carried out by performing a range of duties. This position is located at the Pinon Health Center, Administration/Security Department, Pinon, Arizona. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For applicants applying under the provision of the Excepted Service Examining Plan. Condsideration for this position is limited to applicants entitled to Veterans Preference. If there are less than three (3) Veterans available, non-preference eligible may be considered.
- Assigns work and explains work requirements, methods and procedures; distributes and balance the workload among employees; insures times accomplishment and performance of a satisfactory quantity and quality of work. Informs employees of available services, programs developments and/or changes and employee activities.
- Keeps employs informed of procedures, policies and directives; provides input in the development of safety and security policies and procedures. Reports and provides information to supervisor on disciplinary problems, employee training needs and performance progress; resolves simple, informal complaints.
- Controls personnel access to controlled areas and patrols prescribed Service Unit by or vehicle checking alarms, locks, fences, gates, and other barriers; Patrols installation perimeter to detect faulty fences and detection equipment, trespassing violations, and attempted thefts of Federal or personal property.
- Pursues and detains individuals involved in disturbance, incidents or potential crimes; coordinate passing of directions and information to Police Officers, including incident descriptions and eyewitness reports; coordinates emergency response between security, fire and other emergency units.
- Prepares various written reports; including complaints, accident reports, witness statements, disruptive employees and visitors. Reports unsafe conditions that are vulnerable to theft or damage.
- Not Required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
*BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: *To qualify for the GS-05 grade level, candidates must have 52 weeks of specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-04 grade level. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- *SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: *Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: experience such as work with the Federal, State, municipal, local, or private protective organization that involved the protection of property against such hazards as fire, theft, damage, accident, or trespass; or maintaining order and protecting life. Such experience must have provided a knowledge of protective systems and techniques. Acceptable experience includes service in the Armed Service or Coast Guard that involved the performance of guard duties on a regular basis. For Security Guard positions in a hospital setting, experience as a psychiatric nursing assistant or similar position safeguarding patients is qualifying.
INVESTIGATION OF FITNESS: A character investigation may be conducted on applicants selected for employment. The purpose of such an investigation is to secure evidence of the candidate's honesty, integrity, general character, and loyalty to the U.S. Government. Such investigations will be conducted under the security requirements of the hiring agency.
MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS: The duties of these positions may require moderate to arduous physical exertion and/or duties of a hazardous nature. The following medical requirements apply to all applicants; good near and distant vision, ability to distinguish basic colors, and ability to hear the conversational voice. Agencies may establish additional, job related physical or medical requirements provided that the specific position(s) involves the arduous or arduous duties to which the requirements relate.
Applicants and employees must have the capacity to perform the essential function of the position without risk to themselves or others. In most instances, a specific medical condition or impairment will not disqualify only if the condition, for good medical reason, precludes, assignment to warrants restriction from the duties of the specific position. For some positions, the loss or impairment of a specific function may be compensated for the satisfactory use of a prosthesis or mechanical aid. Reasonable accommodation shall also be considered in determining an applicant's ability to perform the duties of a position. Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to the use of assisted devices, job modification or restructuring, provision of readers and interpreters, or adjusted work schedules. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, October 28, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/ (MP Vacancies for applicable positions).
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Incumbent may be expected to work rotating shifts, weekends and/or holidays and is subject to callback and emergency overtime.
- Incumbent must possess current driver's license to operate GSA vehicles.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Services health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $32,318.00 to $42,012.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0085-05/05
Promotion Potential: 05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligible; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligible; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 453558000
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CH-1819212-ESEP/MP