Indian Health Service Nursing Assistant ( PR2730) in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Pine Ridge, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (4 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (9 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Acute Care Nursing Department, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Clinical Nurse Supervisor.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicant who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
- Provides basic patient care which includes but not limited to: obtaining and recording physiological measurements ( blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respirations, pulse oximetry, weight, height/length, head circumference), Performing EKG's, blood glucose readings; recording/monitoring of intake and output; following infection control protocol and wearing personal protective equipment, providing activities of daily living duties for the patients.
- Assists with patient admission, discharge and transfer activities; initiates paper work as directed; serves as messenger and escorts patients to and from activities in other departments.
- Follows protocols for collecting, labeling and transporting of specimens; prepares requisitions for diagnostic and therapeutic services for patient(s).
- Maintains a neat personal appearance and remains pleasant in interactions with the patients, co-workers, and other hospital departments. Maintains records confidentiality and safeguards medical information.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
GS-04:Six (6) Months of General Experience and Six (6) Months of Specialized Experience OR Two Years Above the High School Level.
Specialized Experience (for positions at GS-4 and above):Qualifying specialized experience includes nonprofessional nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other medical, nursing, or patient care facility, or in such work as that of a home health aid performing duties such as:
- Providing personal nursing care such as providing pre- and post-operative care.
- Support duties for diagnostic and technical treatment procedures, such as setting up and operating special medical equipment and apparatus.
- Caring for mentally ill patients, including observing, recording, and reporting changes in their behavior, and providing reassurance and encouragement.
- Assisting surgeons and registered nurses in operating room activities, including passing instruments, maintaining sterile conditions, and draping and positioning patients.
Education and Training:
For GS-4: Successful completion of a 2-year degree program in an accredited community college, junior college, or college or university in practical nursing or in a field of study appropriate to the specialization of the position, such as education in a program for a psychology, psychiatric, or operating room technician. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, October 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Additional selections may be made on this vacancy.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $28,886.00 to $37,551.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0621-04/04
Promotion Potential: 04
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Excepted Service Examining Plan Candidates (ESEP); Merit Promotion Plan Candidates (MPP); Veteran's Preference Candidates; Commissioned Corp Candidates.
Control Number: 453682800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GP-1815584-ESEP/MP