Indian Health Service Dental Hygienist (PR5216) in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Pine Ridge, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Wednesday 10/12/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Dental Department, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Chief Dental Officer.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R3-GP-1663975-DE++;for eligibility requirements. Note: You may apply separately for each announcement if you want to be considered under each hiring plan
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applicants. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information
Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans' Preference ESEP applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the List, if qualified. 1st cut-off 10/31/2016 2nd cut-off 11/20/2016, 12/10/2016 and 5th cut-off 12/31/2016
- Responsible for ascertaining the oral health status of the population regarding Early Childhood Caries using a variety of screening and information gathering methods. Special problems such as nursing bottle caries, nutritional needs, oral health education needs, and GPRA objectives are evaluated at the SU level and actions taken to reach objectives.
- Provides area management functions as assigned by the Area/Service Unit Dental Programs in conjunctions with Area Dental Consultant/Chief Executive Officer/Chief Service Unit Dental Officer, develops and manages an Area and Service Unit wide program in oral disease prevention and health programs.
- Serves as a clinical dental hygienist responsible for performing advanced prophylactic and preventive dental procedures in the treatment of patients with related medical and dental problems, such as, diabetic complications, compromising heart disease, and servere caries and periodontal pockets.
- Completes preliminary dental examination on new dental service patients. Reviews patients medical and dental historyfor evidences of past and present conditions such as medical illnesses and use of drugs which may complicate or alter treatment. Examines the teeth and surrounding tissues for evidence of plaque and other hygiene indicator and chart findings; inspects the mouth and throat for evidence of disease such as oral cancer; interprets routine x-rays to identify tooth structures, oral pathology and abnormalities such as cavities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
*Licensure: *Must Have a Current Licensed to Practice as Dental Hygienist in a State or Territory of the United States or the District or Columbia.
Radiologic Credentialing Standards:Applicants must meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially they must have 1) completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in the regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and 2) be certified as radiographic in their field.
*GS-08: ***Education :One (1) year of graduate education in dental hygiene or in a directly related field of study.
*Experience:*One (1) Year of Experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 Level performing advanced prophetically and preventive dental procedures in the treatment of patients with related medical and dental problems.
Specialized Experience: Qualifying experience for clinical dental hygienist includes experience in performing oral prophetically care and in providing oral health educational services to patients.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable.
*Time-In-Grade Requirements:* Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).**
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Additional selections may be made on this vacancy.
- Government housing may be available - depending on availability.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $44,335.00 to $57,631.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0682-08/08
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 453083500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R4-GP-1641061-ESEP/MP