VMware Senior Solutions Architect - SLED-West in Phoenix, Arizona
VMware is looking to hire a Senior Solutions Architect (“Solutions Architect”) to support our State, Local, Education (SLED) accounts in the West Coast. Preferred locations: Southern California, Arizona.
The Solutions Architect works autonomously to build customized solutions and road maps to meet a client’s unique business needs.
Building a solution may include activities such as running workshops, conducting client interviews, secondary research, input from the Account Team, working with specialists, product managers, and other stakeholders. The Solutions Architect should possess excellent listening skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to solve complex problems, be a big picture thinker and be able to visualize the solution. The Architect should also be able to act as a trusted advisor to executive management and be able to bridge business and technology. With a clear and agreed upon client vision, you will be responsible for designing the solution to realize the vision and possess the experience as an Architect from prior roles to bring that experience to support and transform Clients with VMware solutions in their environment.
You will be responsible for owning the solution and support the creation of a detailed design and updating the design when needed. With an accepted design, the Solutions Architect will support the development of the solution by working with VMware specialists, Architects, Consultants to lead the development of the solution.
In addition, you will be responsible for the design of complex transformational strategies. In this technology leadership position, you should feel comfortable in leading the development of solutions in ambiguous situations. The role requires tools, frameworks, and design patterns for solutions. You will be asked to contribute to those frameworks, develop reusable domain solutions, and mentor internal & external stakeholders on the use of the tools. You will be working as part of a team with similar charters. To effectively build complex strategies it is important to build a strong network among your peers and internal & external teams. You should be ready to take ownership of the initiatives and programs to aid in delivering of solutions, and be prepared to transfer ownership of the vision / road map you set for your client to the post-sales organization.
The ideal candidate will have a good mix of Technical / Architectural Skills, Business Acumen, and a strong desire to support the customer. The ideal candidate will need to understand the detail behind the solutions and also be able to communicate the high-level vision. You will be acting as a lead technologist and should have a broad understanding of technology. The ideal candidate would have domain level understanding in one or more of the following areas:
1) Infrastructure (Data Center Design, Networking, Systems Hardware, System Architecture Virtualization, Systems Management, Security)
2) Platforms (Application Development, Application Design, SDLC, Java, UI, Spring, IDE’s, SOA)
3) Desktop (Desktops Architecture, Thin/Zero Clients, Desktop Management, Desktop Design)
4) Management (Datacenter Management, Application Management, Desktop Management, JMX, SNMP, MIBS)
• Participate in the pre-sales process to understand customer business, technical objectives, and product requirements
• Design solutions to meet the business/technical objectives
• Must be able to develop Vision Strategy and Road maps deliverables to meet technical solutions
• Ability to think past the products and create solutions to meet the business/IT needs
• Work with delivery team to map design into a product/services road map to help the customer to solve their objective
• Effectively communicate solutions architecture to the customer, third parties and the project teams
• Ensure that proposals are technically sound, deliverable, competitive and representative of market leadership in the application of technology to addressing business issues
• Support sales efforts with delivery management and practice management teams
• Participate in regional marketing events to promote VMware
• Author blogs, technical articles or white paper based on experiences
• Provide feedback to Product Management based on customer feedback
• Adhere to VMware sales process and methodologies on all opportunity pursuits
• Participate in account relationship and issue management activities
• Maintain proficiency in VMware service offerings, value propositions, and representative case studies
• Stay current with developing technologies, emerging landscape (including security threat landscape / competition) and predict impact of changing requirements for your customer base.
• Obtain continuous feedback from the field, including customers, bringing IP back to corporate teams and making recommendations on future service offerings
• Candidate needs to be a US Citizen
• 10+ Years’ experience in a solutions / enterprise architect capacity (data center consolidations, large scale enterprise systems integration, IT Strategy and Management, IT Transformations, Cloud Architecture and migrations)
• Minimum 5+ years in a consulting and/or professional services environment, which should have included conducting business development activities as part of the role
• 4+ years as a technical solutions architect in a consulting and/or systems integrator environment, including time supporting sales and managing technical staff and implementations
• At least 3 years’ experience in infrastructure and/or application architecture and design of complex distributed systems environments, including failover techniques, recovery/rollback, and application partitioning. Experience with Cloud Native application architectures is highly desired, notably re-platforming traditional apps to be Cloud Native
• At least 2 years’ experience in architecting security solutions, including cloud-based security models (e.g., AWS Security); demonstrated understanding of information security policies, standards, industry best standards and frameworks (e.g., ISO 27K, NIST 800-53, FISMA, STIG)
• Experience in a technical lead role, notably with VMware technologies beyond vSphere (e.g., vRealize, Horizon)
• B.S. / B.A. with a M.S. as highly preferred
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.