Indian Health Service Practical Nurse (WISL), GS-0620-06 in Phoenix, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Phoenix, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 10/13/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 10/26/2016 (0 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This vacancy is being filled through the Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority. The following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be made available to the Selecting Official for consideration. Hiring preference will be given to qualified Native American and Alaska Native applicants, but Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to these vacancies.
Practical Nurse positions located in the Women's Clinic (Women and Infant Service Line). Incumbent will provide patient care services through a variety of nursing tasks that requires specialized and non-standard procedural knowledge and skills specific to the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of injuries and illnesses. Position reports to Supervisory Clinical Nurse.
- Provide non-professional nursing care to patients in ambulatory setting under the direction of the professional Nurse
- Participates in the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care.
- Screens patients, prepare and administer medications and therapeutic treatments.
- Manage the nursing team when assigned as team leader.
- Perform simple treatments and simple laboratory tests.
- Not Required
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Licensure:All applicants must be currently licensed to practice as a practical or vocational nurse in a State or Territory of the United States or the District of Columbia. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Qualifying experience includes nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
- Observing, recording, and reporting changes in behavior of patients.
- Providing reassurance and encouragement to patients.
- Setting up and operating special medical equipment and apparatus.
- Assisting health providers in examination of patients by explaining procedures; positioning the patient; assembling, arranging and draping instruments; and gathering supplies.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Position covered under PL 101-630, Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Immunizations: Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities
- Shifts: Regularly assigned or rotational basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends. Subject to call back.
- Direct Deposit: Must have a viable bank account for electronic deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $36,897.00 to $47,965.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0620-06/06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453321800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-PI-1823748-DHA