Comcast Principal Research Engineer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
* Bring a combination of mathematical rigor and innovative algorithm design to create recipes that extract relevant insights from billions of rows of data to meaningfully improve user experience. *
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly-motivated team environment?
As a Research Engineer, you will research develop, support and apply new techniques using real-time distributed computing architectures. You will also employ your skills to develop knowledge dissemination processes and advanced prototyping for our products and services that will shape the future of awesome. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
* Who does the Research Engineer work with? *
Researchers collaborate with experts from many disciplines: the greater industry, academic researchers, internal software engineers, software architects, network engineers, big data scientists, player developers, content security specialists, and various video technologists. We’re a small team that focuses on research through engagement and application both internal and external.
* What are some interesting problems you’ll be working on? *
Members of team develop technical concepts in a wide array of topics as they relate to the software and systems for the next generation, cloud-based, video delivery services within Comcast. Comcast manages an enormous library of on-demand videos and vast numbers of national and regional linear channels. We actively look for opportunities to develop new features and functionality, improve service reliability and end-user experiences, and innovate in areas of scale and efficiency of our video delivery infrastructure.
* Where can you make an impact? *
The Comcast team is building the core components needed to drive the next generation of data platforms and data processing capability. Building data products, identifying trouble spots, and optimizing the overall user experience is a challenge that can only be met with a robust data architecture capable of providing insights that would otherwise be drowned in an ocean of data.
Success in this role is best enabled by a broad mix of skills and interests ranging from traditional distributed systems software engineering prowess to the multidisciplinary field of data science.
* Responsibilities: *
- Active collaboration and integration with internal engineering teams and project stakeholders to facilitate and amplify engineering and innovation centers
- Identification and development of early requirements for new features and platforms
- Prototype and prove new technologies, concepts and methodologies relevant to our problem space
- Define and refine team knowledge dissemination processes that facilitate innovation
- Active open-source, developer, and academic community engagement
- Develops and communicates goals, strategies, tactics, project plans, timelines, and key performance metrics to reach goals
- Review, direct, guide, inspire the analytical work of more junior staff
* Here are some of the specific technologies we use: *
- Spark (AWS EMR), AWS Lambda
- Spark Streaming and Batch
- Avro, Parquet
- MemSQL, Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB, RDBMS
- Caching Frameworks(ElasticCache)
- Elasticsearch, Beats, Logstash, Kibana
- Java, Scala, Go, Python, R
- Git, Maven, Gradle, Jenkins
- Rancher, Puppet, Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes
- Hadoop (HDFS, YARN, ZooKeeper, Hive), Presto
Skills & Requirements:
- MS or PHD degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Physics or related fields with thesis work related to the subject domain.
- 6 years working Machine Learning algorithms
- Experience working with very large datasets
- Experience working with “big data” toolsets
- Experience in multiple programming languages Java, Scala, Python, R, and C/C .
- Experience developing software on and for multicore Linux machines
- Intensive knowledge of Design patterns and Algorithms
- Knowledge of applied statistics and statistical methods
- Experience developing software for Networking, Web services, HTTP, and TCP/IP
- Good communicator; able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies as well as being able to communicate those topics in a clear and engaging manner
- Great design and problem-solving skills, with a strong bias for thinking through problems at scale
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer