HCA, Hospital Corporation of America RN - OR (PRN, As Needed) in Pearland, Texas
POSITION SUMMARY:The Registered Nurse performs direct patient care within the scope of the Registered Nurse Practice Act. Utilizes therapeutic communication in daily practice. Maintains a safe a therapeutic environment. Identifies nursing problems as they relate to the individual needs of the patient. Plans individualized patient care utilizing an interdisciplinary approach. Participates in performance improvement activities. Provides care and coordinates participation that fosters the goals of the hospital’s mission and vision statement. When acting in charge nurse role, registered nurses are responsible for day-to-day activities to ensure the delivery of quality patient care in a therapeutic environment. Make staff assignments based on patient need and the skill of the staff. Serve as role models and clinical resource for the staff. Respond in a timely manner to requests for information or follow-up with physician, staff or patient issues.
· Possesses an understanding of aseptic technique and applies the knowledge in assuring maintenance of a sterile field and in assisting in a procedure or prepping a patient for surgery.
· Possesses and demonstrates knowledge of which areas need to be prepped for the different kinds of procedure.
· Assesses the patient prior to surgery and establishes that the patient understands the procedure being done and that a “timeout” be done prior to any procedure with the rest of the perioperative team.
· Maintains patient safety by applying a safety strap to prevent falls and by proper labeling and administering medications in the Operating Room and Endo Suite
· Understands the use of electrocautery in the O.R and Endo suite, and maintains patient safety when using this device.
· Possesses and demonstrates knowledge of the different positioning techniques for different procedures and maintaining proper patient body alignment.
· Uses critical thinking skills to prioritize patient care.
· Uses a team approach in maintaining patient care. Effectively communicates with the other members of the perioperative team and other departments involved with the care of the patient.
· Understands the use of radiation and lasers in the Operating Room Endo suite, and applying patient safety protocols when such equipment is in use.
· Uses the nursing process to provide safe and effective care for the patient during the perioperative phase.
· Demonstrates understanding of collecting, documenting, and delivering surgical specimens/cultures in the perioperative environment.
· Demonstrates the ability to follow through until problems are addressed or corrected.
· Alert to the detection of errors in own work and the work of others with appropriate corrective actions initiated.
· Demonstrates a teamwork approach in the care of a patient during the perioperative phase.
· Participates in department’s process improvement activities
QUALIFICATIONS:· Graduate of an AccreditedSchoolofNursing · Current TX RN licensure (or eligible for NCLEX) · American Heart Association (Health Care Provider) BLS required · ACLS required · At least 2 years experience in the Operating Room
Title: RN - OR (PRN, As Needed)
Location: Texas-Pearland-Pearland Medical Center
Requisition ID: 26516-66571