Progress Rail Services Corp. Mechanic I, Locomotive in Patterson, Georgia
Auto req ID: 1883BR
Posting Title: Mechanic I, Locomotive
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world.
For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Reports directly to and works under the supervision of the locomotive department supervisor/supervisors. A locomotive mechanic is the basic skill of all our skilled crafts whether a welder, electrician or technician. A mechanic III has experience a I has the capabilities to troubleshoot, repair and train a mechanic II or III.
Key Job Elements
• Work from heights over 6’ on varied surfaces (concrete floors, gravel, metal etc.);
• Constantly standing and walking;
• Frequent bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, squatting, overhead reaching, climbing ladders;
• Frequent work below waist level and above shoulder level;
• Lifting and Carrying up to 50 lbs.
Education / Training
• High School Education or GED, prefer some vocational or technical training;
• Mechanical aptitude with ability to Read precision instruments, micrometers, and gauges.
Qualifications and Experience
• Conduct mechanical repairs and fabrication of locomotives and locomotive components;
• Properly utilize equipment and tools consistently, accurately and safely:
o torque wrench;
o pipe threaders;
o tubing benders;
o cutting torches;
o electric and air operated hand tools;
o overhead cranes;
o other mechanical equipment;
• Work with little or no supervision consistently, accurately, and safely;
• Follow written/scope of work instructions and or QWI’s consistently, accurately, and safely;
• Read schematics and blue prints and make needed repairs;
• Performs maintenance and repair of:
o air brakes;
o wheel and assembly groups;
o rotating equipment;
o other locomotive components;
• Keep work area clean and organized consistently and safely.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities