Indian Health Service Medical Officer (General Practice), GS-0602-14 in Parker, Arizona
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Parker, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 3/16/2016 (220 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Serves as a General Practitioner for the Colorado River Service Unit and with occasional travel to the Chemehuevi Clinic in Havasu Lake, CA. Position reports to the Clinical Director in Parker, AZ.
- Assumes responsibility of interviews and examines patients and provides diagnosis, prevention, therapy and maintenance of the patients.
- Provides management in all medical emergencies and do referrals as needed.
- Conduct outpatient clinics giving total patient care including prevention, health maintenance, early diagnosis, treatment and follow up with patients under care.
- Reviews patient medications as Medical Reconciliation, diet, therapy and modifies regimen as required.
- Performs minor surgery as needed.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel to outlying service units under the Colorado River Service Unit.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: All physicians must meet all three of the following basic requirements:
- Degree - Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country. AND
- Licensure - Active, unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the U.S.
Additional requirements the GS-13 level: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirement listed above, applicants for positions at the GS-14 level must have a combination of residency training and specialized experience as described below that equals 4 years or more:
- 3 years of graduate training or equivalent experience and training; AND
- 1 year of appropriate experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level that demonstrates the ability to provide patient care of a difficult and responsible level.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive may be authorized. At least a 6-month service agreement is required.
Government housing may be available for this position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- As required, will provide patient care in other service units or facilities under the Colorado River Service Unit.
- Works on a regularly assigned rotation to provide continuity of medical service 24/7 including weekends and holidays.
- This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants will be considered as job opportunities occur and may or may not receive further notification regarding the status of their application.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants for a period of 3 months from the time the application is received. Applicants that are among the best qualified will be referred to selecting official for consideration as requests to fill vacancies are processed by the Human Resources Office.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free.
Salary Range: $98,697.00 to $175,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0602-14/14
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 432993700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-PX-1652535-DHA