Corning Research Intern- Biochemical Technology and Engineering in Painted Post, New York
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D;, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D; is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D; website at: http://www.corning.com/r_d/index.aspx
Scope of Position:
- Summer intern will join S & T Biochemical technologies group.
- The primary responsibility of the summer intern is to assist scientists in design and execution of a novel microfluidic assay system. The individual needs to learn and perform immunoassays and screening.
- The intern will complete a small project related to a microfluidic project to increase the ability to find and solve technical difficulties.
- This position requires creative individual with a passion for technical interest and learning. He /She must be an action-oriented and well-organized, with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develop microfluidic systems
- Perform microfluidic experiments and assays
- Design of immunoassay
- Design of genomic assays
- May involve qPCR analysis
- May involve MATLAB, SOLIDWORKS and Multi-physics modeling
- May involve genomic or protein analysis
- Document, compile, and analyze experimental data
- May perform other duties as assigned
Travel Requirements: None
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8am to 5pm
Job Title: Research Intern- Biochemical Technology and Engineering
Reference Number: 183239
Required Education and Experience:
- Graduate level engineering and science required
- Prior 1 or 2 years of laboratory experience required
- Experience and knowledge with basic techniques in fluorescence microscopy, microfluidics, electro-wetting, Modeling is required
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Must be able to work well with project team members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.