Corning Development Intern-Material Processing in Painted Post, New York
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D;, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Scope of Position:
Intern would work on a project in CET Development (ETD). The focus of the internship would be a study of the high temperature reaction kinetics for cordierite formation and would include hands on laboratory work as well as analysis of characterization data with a goal of developing an enhanced understanding of the fundamental science.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- With team members, design experiments to elucidate fundamental science of firing reactions.
- Run experiments in laboratory furnaces.
- Evaluate data – including characterization results and statistical analysis as appropriate.
- Share and discuss data and conclusions with team.
- Present a final report.
None required but travel to a local plant is a possibility
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Typically starting at 8:00 but can start 1 hr earlier if desired.
- Typical 40hr work week.
Job Title: Development Intern-Material Processing
Reference #: 183187
Required Education and Years/Area of Experience:
Currently in Material Science/Engineering, Ceramic Science/Engineering, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering College program with 3 of more years of college experience
Knowledge of Material Science/Eng., Ceramic Science/Eng. or Inorganic Chemistry – 3+ years college experience preferred
Laboratory experience – college lab courses acceptable
Technical writing and presentation – have written up lab reports, etc.
Desired Skills :
Knowledge of Design of Experiments
Successfully completed course work in Physical Chemistry and Thermodynamics
Experience working in an industrial setting
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Technical curiosity
- Ability to work with others on a team
- Ability to make clear presentation of results
- Self-motivated, self-starter, able to work with limited day-to-day guidance.
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.