Washington State Maintenance Technician 1 /2 (Non-Perm) Multiple Positions in Other, Washington
The Opportunity: The North Central Region, Maintenance Area 1 has openings for Non-Permanent Maintenance Technician positions to perform highway maintenance duties in Chelan and Douglas Counties (Leavenworth, Blewett Pass, Stevens Pass, Wenatchee, Chelan and Waterville) during the winter season. These duties include but are not limited to snow and ice control operations using 2 and 3 axle trucks; plowing snow and applying sand, liquid and solid chemical deicers to the roadway; perform safety patrol, loading winter sand and chemicals onto trucks with 1-4 yard loaders; install and change attachments on equipment, perform traffic control for all maintenance activities and vehicle accidents.
The selected individuals for these positions will work in all weather conditions, be safety conscious and available for day and night shifts, overtime and emergency response. WSDOT maintenance personnel are also expected to respond quickly and effectively to clear highways of hazards to ensure the public has seamless access to all roadways.
While the operation of our snow removal equipment is complex, we will provide training if you possess a CDL, an aptitude to learn, the ability to use computers, and can perform tasks simultaneously.
The following work will be performed:
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Assist in layout and set up of traffic control, including planning, setting up signage, and manually flagging traffic.
- Ability to safely and skillfully operate equipment while performing highway maintenance work.
- Operate snowplows, deicer trucks, front end loaders and other snow and ice removal equipment.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time to safely control traffic through work zones or accidents.
- Ability to safely move, place and manipulate objects up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform duties in all kinds of weather and hazardous road conditions.
- Perform highway debris removal.
- Effectively operate electronic equipment including computers, PDA, radios and telephones. Candidates will be considered at the Maintenance Technician 1 or Maintenance Technician 2 level depending on qualifications:
Required Qualifications for a Maintenance Technician 1 ($16.05 - $18.89/hr):
- Must be eighteen years of age or older
- Must possess a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B, without airbrake restriction and a current medical card
- Have at least (1) one year of experience in highway maintenance work or driving a truck (26,000 GVW or over) or operating heavy equipment while performing work such as landscaping, farming, forestry, or construction
- Have computer skills
- Be available for all shifts assigned
Be available for call-out to respond to emergencies Required Qualifications for a Maintenance Technician 2 ($17.60 - $20.84):
Must be eighteen years of age or older
- Must possess a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A, with N endorsement, without airbrake restriction and a current medical card
- Have at least (2) two years of experience in highway maintenance work or driving a truck (26,000 GVW or over) or operating heavy equipment while performing work such as landscaping, farming, forestry, or construction
- Have computer skills
- Be available for all shifts assigned
Be available for call-out to respond to emergencies Additionally, applicants will be considered based on the following desired qualifications:
Experience with snow and ice removal
- Experience in traffic control including planning, setting signs, and flagging
- Experience in repair of roadway, shoulders, guardrail, and signs Condition of Employment: As a condition of employment for these positions, the selected candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment federal drug testing as well as a check of drug and alcohol test results conducted by previous employers. Candidates will be disqualified for employment if they refuse to submit to or fail the pre-employment testing. Subsequent to employment, the employees in these positions are subject to on-going, random drug and alcohol testing as well as for cause, post-accident and follow-up testing.
NOTE: *These positions are covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective the first day of the month following the employees initial 30 days in this classification. *How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please hit the large apply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Application assessment will be ongoing and the hiring authority reserves the right to offer positions at any time during the recruitment process. It is to the applicant's advantage to apply as early as possible.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Barb LeRoueat 509-667-3008 or email to LeRoueB@wsdot.wa.gov*.* Please reference recruitment number 2016-NCR-027.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Recruitment and Retention Section, Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7733 or email email@example.com.
Job Type: Various Job Types
Job Number: 2016-NCR-027
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 10/30/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $16.05 - $20.84 Hourly
Location: Chelan County – Other, WA