Washington State Finance and Administration Director in Other, Washington
The role of the Director is to provide senior level leadership and direction for the development and management of the operating and capital budget to support safe and reliable marine transportation for Washington State Ferries (WSF). The Director is responsible for quality control of budget information provided to WSDOT Headquarters and legislative staff. This position will oversee accounting services, purchasing, administrative services, legal services and contracts management, operations budget, capital budget, program development, grants management, and performance reporting.
The incumbent will provide strategic leadership to ensure funding for operation of reliable transportation to over 22 million passengers annually. Responsibilities include program development and budget, legal services and contracts, and the controller function.
This position also entails interactions with external entities at the federal, state, and local levels. To manage available funds and to successfully accomplish WSF biennial programs within the legislatively authorized levels, the Director will monitor funding and expenditure data and perform regular analyses and advise senior leadership of significant trends as they appear. The position will act as the advisor to senior leadership on all matters to do with grant and contract administration, accounting and procurement.
The significant financial and planning responsibilities link directly to WSF strategic, financial and operating issues. This leader will be responsible for developing a harmonious work environment where all employees are valued. The person must be approachable with effective communication skills and working relationships with all Ferries employees and other government agencies.
Washington State Ferries is a government agency that operates automobile and passenger ferry service in the U.S. state of Washington as part of the Washington State Department of Transportation. It runs 10 routes serving 20 terminals located around Puget Sound and in the San Juan Islands, designated as part of the state highway system. The agency maintains the largest fleet of ferries in the United States at 24 vessels, carrying 23 million passengers in 2014. As of 2014, it was the largest ferry operator in the United States, and the fourth-largest ferry system in the world.
This position will perform the following work:
- Serve not only Ferries but WSDOT wide policy efforts involving both ferry and departmental strategic, financial and program management issues.
- Develop and lead processes for improvement and monitoring of the WSF budgets.
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure effective, smooth coordination within areas of responsibility, other WSDOT Ferries Division departments and HQ department counterparts.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to facilitate effective resolution of the day-to-day operational issues facing WSF in the development and delivery of its programs.
- Ensure that appropriate fiscal controls are established and adhered to and that all activities are compliant with state financial laws and practices.
* From the hiring authority's perspective, viable and competitive candidates should meet or exceed these qualifications:*
- Experience in: Advanced principles of management; strategic financial planning; legislative processes; budgetary processes; financial analysis; state and federal planning processes; personnel policies; and OFM budget process.
- Skills: Effective communication skills, both verbal and written; management of people and resources; dispute resolution; effective negotiations; and budget evaluation and analysis.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, procedures, laws, and regulations regarding accounting and purchasing processes.
- Increasingly responsible experience with public sector budgeting and management of staff.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration, economics or related field is desirable.
- Experience with Federal grants.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will only be accepted electronically. Please select the large apply button at the top of this announcement for instructions. You may need to create a profile and account in Washington State's automated tracking system, NeoGov. To be considered for this position you will need to answer any supplemental questions. As part of these questions you will need to provide a letter of interest and completely fill out the work history portion of the application. Please DO NOT attach a standard resume! Your letter of interest should be unique to this job announcement and clearly explain how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Matt Elamat 360-705-7509or email firstname.lastname@example.org*.* Please reference recruitment number 2016-WMS-055.
**Employment, Education and Criminal History Verification
Due to the nature of this position a comprehensive background check will be conducted on the final candidate(s) prior to hire. Applicants will be required to sign a release of authorization prior to conducting the background check. Applicants will be notified prior to any adverse hire action taken as a result of a background check. Information received from the background check does not automatically make a candidate ineligible for employment. However, candidates that provide false or misleading information in their application and/or authorization may be eliminated from any further consideration. If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the recruiter listed above.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Talent Acquisition Unit, Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7064 or email email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-WMS-055
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $103,224.00 - $125,952.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle – Other, WA