Washington State Tax Specialist 3 (Multiple TS3 In-training positions) Olympia in Olympia, Washington
This recruitment is open until filled. Applicant review begins on October 18, 2016. The hiring authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time.
Employment Security Department (ESD) is recruiting for multiple Tax Specialist 3 (TS3) in-training positions. These positions will be utilized across all Tax and Wage units, assigned to assist with high workloads as needed, in order to support Tax and Wage efforts to provide timely service to customers. These positions will provide senior-level professional unemployment insurance (UI) tax services to the Washington State business community, reporting agents, legal representatives, out-of-state businesses, other state and federal agencies, and the Claim Centers. The Tax Specialist 3 positions will perform administration and/or provide direct services for a variety of UI Tax programs within the various units. This work contributes to and supports the agency mission by ensuring that every Washington employer pays their fair share of UI tax and that UI benefit claims are paid timely and correctly.
Please Note: These positions are Tax Specialist 3 in-training and can be filled at any of the following levels depending on the applicant's qualifications. The incumbents will be required to complete a training plan in order to promote to the next level (from TS2 up to the TS3). Salary ranges for these levels are:
- Tax Specialist 2: $36,744 - $48,060 annually depending on qualifications
- Tax Specialist 3: $40,428 - $53,016 annually depending on qualifications Duties
These positions will perform the following duties at the TS3 goal class:
*Employer Accounts unit: *
- Verify employers' tax and wage reports to ensure accuracy in reporting and correct processing by the Next Generation Tax System (NGTS).
- Verify timely payment and reports received.
- Process and approve waivers and refunds.
- Balance accounts, obtaining excess wage information from employers when necessary.
Apply and adjust delinquent taxes, tax and wage reports and amounts to balance employers' accounts. *Account Management Center: *
Collect reports from employers.
- Assist employers in preparation or adjustments to their agency reports.
Explain appeal rights and applicable laws and policies. *Registration and Rates unit: *
Analyze and independently determine employer liability under Title 50.
- Determine whether an account needs to be established, reinstated, or inactivated. Determine whether a predecessor/successor relationship exists to ensure a correct tax rate assignment and prevent State Unemployment Tax Act (SUTA) dumping.
- Establish Professional Employer Organization (PEO) accounts and process power of attorney to link establish employer/client relationships.
- Investigates, reviews, and validates information from various sources that affects employers' benefit charging and experience rating.
- Approve or deny benefit charge relief requests.
Research and recommend appropriate tax rate from employer's tax rate review request. *Tax Audit Coordination unit: *
Verify earnings of UI Blocked Benefit Claims. Determine validity of "Affidavit of Earning" statements and recommend approval or denial of request.
- In conjunction with redetermination (RX) responsibilities, work with other units and employers as required to determine correct and proper reporting of tax and wage information; submit tax/wage adjustments to correct reporting errors to support audit and claim determinations. Qualifications
*Required qualifications (TS2 level): *
- Awareness-level knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices; the analysis and reporting of financial data including GAAP and GAAS (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards).
- Awareness-level workload management skills - plan and organize assignments to create timely, accurate work products. Work efficiently, remain focused, and handle interruptions effectively.
- Awareness-level analytical skills - use logic and reasoning to assess data, form logical conclusions, evaluate options, and make decisions or recommendations.
- Awareness-level customer service skills - build and maintain customer satisfaction with products and services.
- Awareness-level oral communication skills - convey information orally according to the needs of the audience, and receive and understand spoken information. Supplemental Information
Attach a resume and letter of interest to your on-line application (through the Add Attachment(s) field).
A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate 'how'.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
Other Information As a condition of employment, the successful candidate accepting this position must comply with the Union Security clause contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees.
For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-902-9560 or HRRecruiting@esd.wa.gov.
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information via e-mail or telephone.
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-08156
Department: Employment Security Department
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $36,744.00 - $53,016.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA