Washington State Information Security Specialist (ITS 4) in Olympia, Washington
Not often does an opportunity come along which allows you to make your state a better place to live and further your professional career at the same time. But that describes pretty much every opportunity here at Washington's Lottery. Because for more than 30 years, the Lottery has been enriching the state - in more ways than you probably realize. Of course, there have been billions of dollars in prizes for players, and hundreds of millions in retailer sales commissions have been pumped back into Washington's economy. At the same time, the Lottery has been able to share billions with beneficiaries in the state, including contributions to scholarships and early learning programs, economic development, and more. When you think about it, it's amazing how one little Lottery ticket can make such a big difference in so many lives. Be a part of that difference by joining the team at Washington's Lottery.
This position acts as the information security expert within the agency to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, agency policies, and other related guidelines as they apply to Lottery information security. The central focus of the position is to ensure that integrity is maintained over information security and that associated internal controls are prevalent within Lottery systems and supporting contractors to the agency. This position reports to the Director of Information Services. Depending on the type of information security incidents the incumbent also reports issues to the Washington's Lottery Audit Committee to help resolve selected issues.
This position is responsible for leading all IT-related security.
- Serves as the internal technical consultant, system administrator, and advisor to agency executive management and staff on IT infrastructure, networking, application, policies, procedures, operational practices, data resources, and other related items regarding access to agency information systems.
- Maintain security for Lottery networks, servers, databases, internal application, and all related IT equipment.
- Review threat modeling and analyzes for current and future IT plans.
- Support day-to-day administration of computer systems and automated security tools.
- Work closely with all groups in IS as well as end users to resolve complex security issues.
- Design, recommend, and implement security improvements by evaluating current systems and procedures, researching trends, and anticipating requirements.
- Protect systems by defining access privileges, control structures, and resource authorization.
- Serves as a technical investigative resource in the review of security system documentation, procedures, and processes.
- Researches, tests, evaluates, and implements security technologies and software.
- Assists in the development and implementation of tests for system changes and enhancements.
- Coordinates with others as necessary where system security incident investigations may require interagency efforts.
- Provides information security technical investigative assistance during audits as carried out by internal audit committee or outside independent auditors.
- Provides senior level technical guidance and support to development projects and system enhancements to ensure that systems and programs have adequate and reasonable internal controls to detect and prevent unwanted irregularities.
- Ensures organization staff members are aware of IT security issues and are trained to mitigate risks.
- Evaluates, assesses, and monitors security of agency and vendor computer systems on an ongoing basis to determine effectiveness of internal controls and conformity with agency policy and contract agreements.
- Monitors on-line vendor security methods for access control, facility and equipment, and virus/version control.
- Obtains information security training materials and identifies agency personnel that need required training.
- Prepares and completes the annual Information Technology Portfolio and Information Technology Security reports. Qualifications
Bachelor of Science/Arts degree in one of the following disciplines or a closely related field:
- Public Administration
- Business Administration
- Police Science
- Computer Science/Management Information Systems Four years' responsible administrative or staff experience analyzing and making recommendations for the technical solution of problems relating to the security of information systems. Proven abilities in the use of computer systems, with considerable knowledge of computer operating systems, workstation and server configuration, layer 2 and 3 networking, mobile device technology, and application configuration and testing.
In addition, three years responsible investigative experience involving the use of investigative techniques and procedures including following leads, interviewing witnesses, researching and inspecting records and documents, analyzing and evaluating documents, analyzing and evaluating information gathered to establish facts of evidence, and preparing detailed reports of investigative findings. Experience may be gained concurrently.
Additional applicable training and experience (in any combination) may be substituted for the Bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
Inherently related to all of the duties is the use of discretion, confidentiality, and integrity in all matters.
Willing and able to maintain a reliable and consistent worksite attendance record.
How to Apply
If you are viewing this job announcement online, click Apply above.
If you received a printed copy of this job announcement:
- Go to www.careers.wa.gov
- Click Look for Jobs
- Click on Filter, the Department, select Washington's Lottery
- Click on Information Security Specialist (ITS 4)
- Click Apply
Application review will begin immediately. We reserve the right and may exercise the option to make a hiring decision at any time. It will be to the applicant's advantage to submit materials as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or need further information, please call (360) 664-4812. Supplemental Information
Background investigations are required due to the nature and security requirements of the job. Applicants will be required to sign releases of information. Background investigations are part of the pre-employment selection process and are not a commitment to employment.
Employee of the Lottery and their family members who reside in the same household are precluded by law from participating in the Lottery games.
Washington's Lottery is a chemical-free/scent-free environment. Employees are expected to refrain from the use of scented products.
Washington's Lottery values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation/gender identity, age, disability, use of a guide dog or trained service animal due to a disability, familial status, martial status, honorably discharged veteran and military status, or status as a breastfeeding mother. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this announcement in an alternative format may call Human Resource at (360) 664-4812. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call (360) 586-0933 for assistance.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2014-07593
Department: Washington's Lottery
Closing: 10/25/2016 4:30 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $4,762.00 - $6,247.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA