IDC Staff Writer, Greenbot & Macworld in New York, New York
IDG’s consumer tech editorial team is looking for a dedicated writer/reporter/video talent to help cover mobile products. This position will primarily focus on coverage of Android phones, tablets, watches, accessories and software for Greenbot, our website for Android enthusiasts of all experience levels. But we’re also looking for someone who’s well-versed in iOS, assisting Macworld with iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch coverage when new updates are announced.
You should excel in a fast-paced web environment, writing product reviews, video scripts, how-to content, and sometimes even news with a sense of urgency, and to the highest professional standards. It’s also essential that you have a deep technical understandings of Android hardware and software. (An equal mastery of iOS products will be helpful, but isn’t essential.) On-camera video experience is not a pre-requisite, but this job will entail appearing in videos every week, and our interviewing process will include a video audition if you don’t already have a reel.
- Write reviews and video scripts for major Android hardware releases (phones, tablets, watches).
- Write articles and video scripts relating to Android system updates, and major ecosystem software.
- Write reviews of Android ecosystem accessories (e.g., power banks and cases).
- Write news articles relating to major happenings in the Android ecosystem.
- Assist Macworld with iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and iOS coverage.
- Appear in videos, on camera, on a weekly basis.
- Attend and report from major press events around the world (e.g., Google I/O, Mobile World Congress, and various Samsung events).
- Exemplary reporting and writing skills. You should have a fun, conversational writing voice.
- A confident, comfortable, engaging video presence. You should be able to connect with viewers, keeping them informed and entertained.
- No-excuses mobile tech knowledge. You should be a true Android enthusiast who knows the product universe, and has an enthusiast-level understanding of how Android works, and how it’s evolved.
- A team-focused attitude, and a readiness to chip in and help whenever and wherever necessary.
- Previous experience as a professional consumer-tech journalist. It’s not essential that you have contacts with Google and all the major Android hardware manufacturers, but it will certainly help you hit the ground running.
- As our primary video studio is located in IDG’s San Francisco office, this position will only make sense for Bay Area residents.
Please be sure to upload a formatted version of your resume and cover letter during the application process.
Req Number: 16-0175
Posting Date: 9/6/2016
Title: Staff Writer, Greenbot & Macworld
Job Family: Editorial
Unit: IDG Consumer & SMB (a division of US Media)
City: New York
Job Type: Full-Time
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)