Ross Stores, Inc. Assistant Buyer in New York, New York
About Ross Stores:
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (ROST) Company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2016 revenues of $12.9 billion. The Company operates Ross Dress for Less® ("Ross"), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with 1,340 locations in 36 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The Company also operates over 190 dd’s DISCOUNTS® locations in 15 states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings.
The company’s merchandise mix and assortments are constantly evolving as merchants and planners focus on what customers want to buy and respond by delivering great discounts on a wider variety of name brand merchandise. With its solid management team, proven off-price concept, strong cash flow and return on equity, Ross is ideally positioned to successfully execute its growth strategies.
At Ross you will find:
- A career that fits you
- Amazing culture and people
- Big company with a family feeling
- Customer focus
Are you ready for the next big move in your career? We look forward to hearing from you!
The culture demands hands-on, close engagement at all levels, and the ability to think and act strategically. Within this culture, there are many opportunities to attain and even exceed personal goals quickly while partnering with professionals across multiple categories. This creates a win-win culture with a rigorous standard of performance for everyone.
Structured for growth and profitability, individuals are measured on performance rather than process. What this yields is an environment that is invigorating and offers a clear, compelling reward system for the team.
Additional information is available at:
About this job:
The Assistant Buyer will establish strong relationships with vendors. Assistant Buyer will be responsible for administration and management the Purchase Order cycle. Assistant Buyer will partner with the buying team to ensure merchandise mix in an attempt to continually improve assortments by comp shopping not only the Market but Ross Stores.
- Performs the administrative and operational functions supporting the buying team.
- Responsible for the full life cycle of the Purchase Order as well as markdowns.
- This includes writing the POs, changes, cancellations and necessary follow-up (both internally and externally) to ensure key shipments are delivered and processed.
- Provides on-going analysis and interpretation of key business issues including the monitoring of regional merchandise reports, Open-To-Buy, stock analysis and other ad hoc reports.
- Responsible to ensure the effective relationship with vendors. This includes appropriate level of interaction with vendors in terms of both problem resolution and follow-up.
- Utilizes product knowledge to take initiative to suggest new resources and creative methods of sourcing product.
- Responsible to maintain planned receipt flow and communicating any issues that arise.
- Responsible for accurately representing liquidity and adhering to PO management policies.
- Demonstrating knowledge of packaway strategy to offset additional costs of storing merchandise. Understands the concept of budgeting and release of packaway merchandise.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Prior retail experience preferred (i.e., buying internship or store level experience)
- Strong retail math skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and PC skills, with an emphasis on spreadsheet applications