Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc Account Director, International Sales in New York, New York
Account Director, International Sales
Sales & Marketing
POSITION PURPOSE Solicit group business that enables the hotel to meet and/or exceed revenue goals in room and food and beverage. This position was designated for a seasoned sales professionals who have demonstrated consistently strong revenue production and who are aggressively being developed as a future Director, Group Sales for one of our larger hotels.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AVERAGE % OF TIME 40% Solicit new and existing accounts to meet/exceed revenue goals through telephone solicitation, outside sales calls, site inspections and written communication. 25% Prepare correspondence to customers, internal booking reports and file maintenance. 15% Participate in daily business review meeting, pre-convention meetings, training and other sales-related meetings as required. 10% Work with other departments within the hotel to provide quality service to customers. 5% Attend trade shows, community events and industry meetings. 5% Develop/maintain knowledge of market trends, competition and customers.
OTHER: Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required. Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Starwood rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel’s facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
SUPPORTIVE FUNCTIONS In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
* Professionally represent the hotel in community and industry organizations and events.
* Provide feedback and support to all departments.
* Participate as a team player with all departments.
* Assist with projects and reports.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
* Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
* Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
* Extensive knowledge of sales skills.
* Must possess basic computational ability.
* Must possess computer skills, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel and Delphi.
* Ability to assess/evaluate employees performance fairly.
* Ability to supervise, train and counsel subordinates.
* Knowledge of hotel and competitive market.
* Ability to establish and execute appropriate action plans.
* Desire to participate as part of a team.
* Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
* Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems.
* Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. This may include traveling to and from meetings. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
* Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
* Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. occasionally.
* Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
* Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
* Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
* Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
QUALIFICATION STANDARDS Education High school or equivalent education required.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience Three years hotel sales experience preferred.
Licenses or Certificates Not applicable. Grooming All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Starwood standards. This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Request Priority Protected Veteran Referrals
EOE -Veteran /Disabled/Minority/AA/F/M/SO