HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Assistant Vice President Patient Experience WFH in Nashville, Tennessee
Reporting to the Vice President and Chief Patient Experience Officer (CXO), the Assistant Vice President (AVP), Patient Experience is a key member of the Patient Experience Team. In this capacity, the AVP, Patient Experience is integrally involved in strategic planning and organization-wide decision making. The successful candidate will interact with direct caregivers, ancillary and support staff and HCA facility, division and corporate leadership. The visibility of the position, the importance of its success and scope of the work to be accomplished make this one of the most important and challenging positions in healthcare today. This position has been designed to provide thought leadership and subject matter expertise, direction and alignment of all initiatives, policies, programs and education that will lead to a “world-class experience” for all patients and families receiving care or services within HCA. The position also requires the candidate to be a “champion” for patient rights and organizational ethics. We are seeking an enthusiastic, independent, highly skilled, patient and consumer focused healthcare leader for this position.
- Provides strategic leadership and operational insight; designs, plans, organizes and facilitates execution of an HCA patient experience strategy in collaboration with the Chief Patient Experience Officer.
- Works closely with internal and external parties to manage and facilitate high visibility processes and projects which enhance patient experience.
- Collaborates with HCA facility, division and corporate leadership to develop and implement business plans as well as short and long term goals designed to improve and enhance patient satisfaction and service excellence. Specific strategic focus is on HCAHPS survey performance, initiatives, and programs designed to increase and maintain high levels of satisfaction.
- Serves as a resource, consultant and advisor to HCA facility and division leadership in the identification, assessment and implementation of strategic and operational patient experience initiatives and opportunities designed to improve the patient experience.
- Uses knowledge of the implications of measures for HCAHPS scores and for CMS guidelines regarding recording patient satisfaction scores among quality data to impact the organization’s overall effectiveness and bottom line.
- Facilitates the integration and utilization of data sources including quality, human resource, finance and other key operational indicators across the enterprise and provides analysis and consultation.
- Consults with key resources in the Leadership Institute regarding curriculum planning and education to all leadership and hospital staff to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Identifies skills and processes to influence and modify the behaviors of the wide range of individuals who come in contact with patients and families, and incorporates those into actionable and measureable systems to achieve results.
- Leads initiatives intended to achieve, maintain and maximize a robust process improvement culture. Works collaboratively with facility, division and corporate leadership to improve the overall quality of the patient experience and ensure that all related initiatives remain on schedule.
- Responsible for ensuring quality standards for patient care are expanded to other clinical entities thus assuring efficient and effective coordination and delivery of all patient care services. Navigates the impatient nursing care environment and other points of direct patient interaction and works through hospital staff providing direct patient care to achieve the desired patient care experience outcomes.
- Helps create a framework customized to draw on HCA strengths of operations, quality, safety, ethics and compliance and capitalizes on the culture and ability to scale best practices.
- Utilizes evidence based best practices including but not limited Nurse Leader Rounding, Employee Rounding, Senior Leader Rounding, Hourly Rounding (SM), Standards of Behavior, Peer Interviewing, etc.
- Engages actively all levels of leadership and staff to maximize and scale evidenced based practices.
- Supports the development of a framework for HCA patient experience that includes hiring and onboarding the right people, arming leaders and staff with the education and skills to accomplish the desired results, actively monitoring progress and rewarding and recognizing accomplishments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Leadership – leads individuals and groups toward identified outcomes, setting high performance standards and delivering quality services.
- Critical Thinking – actively and skillfully conceptualizes, applies, analyzes, synthesizes or evaluates information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning or communication as a guide to belief and action.
- Building and Maintaining Strategic Working Relationships – develops collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals. Possesses excellent interpersonal skills in building, negotiating and maintaining crucial relationships.
- Building Trust – interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
- Effective Operational Decision Making ‐ relates and compares; secures relevant information and identifies key issues; committing to an action after developing alternative courses of action that take into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Conceptual Thinking – ability to identify patterns or connections between situations that are not obviously related, and to identify key or underlying issues in complex situations. Includes using creative, conceptual or inductive reasoning.
- Change Leadership – continuously seeks and encourages others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing organizational problems and opportunities.
- Adaptability – maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; able to adapt to change in environment and/or circumstances with a positive outlook; and adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Initiative – independently takes prompt proactive steps towards problem resolution.
- Managing Conflict – deals effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Energy – consistently maintains high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operates with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
- Stress Tolerance – maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition; handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and the organization
- Organization ‐ proactively prioritizes initiatives; effectively manages resources and keen ability to multi‐task.
- Communication ‐ communicates timely, clearly, proactively and concisely with all key stakeholders.
- Customer/Stakeholder Orientation ‐ establishes and maintains long‐term customer/stakeholder relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations.
- Work Independently – Is self‐supporting; not needing to rely on others to complete a job.
- Facilitation – ability to facilitate small to large groups of people at various organizational levels for purposes of planning, problem solving, or strategy development.
- PC Skills ‐ demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required.
Education: * Bachelor Degree in a Healthcare/Business Related Field Required. * Master Degree Required Experience: * Minimum of ten (10) years healthcare leadership/management experience required. * LEAN experience preferred Certificate/License: * Six Sigma Black Belt Certification or Six Sigma Green Belt Certification preferred. Travel: * Routine travel required (50%). Special Qualifications: * Candidates who meet these qualifications may come from a variety of backgrounds such as Nursing, Social Work, Education, Medicine, etc. * Working knowledge of HCAHPS and other patient experience surveys/metrics. * Knowledge of current trends and best practices in patient experience and service excellence relevant to services provided by hospitals, medical staffs and integrated healthcare systems. * Knowledgeable about patient and family centered care initiatives. * Knowledge of hospital organizations, policies, procedures and forms. * Resourcefulness to identify and search for information that is not readily available. * Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the HCA enterprise. * Demonstrated track record of bringing great ideas in patient service to fruition through the alignment of ideas, people and processes. * Expertise in service recovery and cutting edge patient service programs is highly desirable. * Highly developed thoughtful, analytical skills; ability to function at a high level in a fast paced environment. * Superb interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, particularly in the areas of caring and compassion, to communicate effectively with patients, physicians, managers and high level administrative staff, as well as, nursing, clinical and other support staff who are critical to facility functions. * Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Demonstrated experience as a project manager, preferably related to customer and/or patient satisfaction, with the ability to effectively lead project teams and keep teams on task. * Strong working knowledge of theories and principles of facilitation/process improvement tools and techniques. * Ability to act independently to solve problems and develop recommendations. Undeterred by challenges and barriers to change, as well as persistent and undaunted by resistance. * Collaborative, transparent, approachable and passionate about the goals at hand. * Results oriented with the ability to not only set goals but also design, implement and monitor plans for improvement. * Proven ability to bring projects to successful completion with sustainability. * Engaging with outstanding interpersonal skills and a polished, professional presence. * Politically savvy, understands when to seek counsel and to involve others; results oriented change agent who is an effective business systems thinker
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye‐hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 25 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in an office environment. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations. Must be willing to travel approximately 50% of the time.
Title: Assistant Vice President Patient Experience WFH
Location: Tennessee-Nashville-HCA HR Center of Excellence
Requisition ID: 26560-2073