Google Developer Advocate (Apache Beam and Open Source Data) in Mountain View, California
The Developer Relations organization helps keep us connected to the communities that love technology as much as we do. Our focus is on supporting third party developers who build applications and businesses on Google's platforms. Developer Advocates act as passionate advocates for Google technologies, and are vocal champions for developer interests within Google. This is a position for engineers who love connecting with developers and speaking publicly about cutting-edge technologies on conference panels, at user groups, on blogs and with the press. You also communicate internally with Product Managers. Chrome, Android, App Engine, HTML5, as well as our core G Suite and Ads APIs, are just some of the platforms you promote and support. Your work fosters a community of developers working with Google technologies and helps to drive strategy around Developer Relations.
- Define a community development and awareness strategy in collaboration with other Beam participants and drive its execution.
- Reach out to other related open source projects to make sure that integration with Beam is top of mind. This involves creating JIRAs, contributing in initiating and driving integration projects, and ensuring that all created assets and resources are on GitHub.
- Participate in technical and design discussions with technical executives, acting as strategic partners to speed adoption and ensure best practices during implementation.
- Advocate for open source developers internally and influence Google developer product strategy by working with Product Management, Engineering, PR, Marketing, Business Development and other cross-functional teams.
- Create and deliver hands-on workshops, presentations, blog/media posts, and subsequent resources that others in the developer community can use to increase awareness and adoption of Beam.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of overall software engineering or development experience and recent coding experience in big data projects.
- Experience working directly with partners or third party developers.
- Experience presenting and working with open source projects in the developer community, e.g. through presentations, hackathons, webinars, forums, conferences, media, blogs, and/or social media.
- Master's Degree or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- 10 years of overall software engineering or development experience and recent coding experience in big data projects.
- Experience advocating or mentoring for new and existing technologies and programming languages.
- Relevant work experience speaking at technology conferences, blogging/writing technical articles with an existing follower base, or contributing to an open source project.
- Success as a software developer, architect, technical evangelist, consultant, community manager, product manager, CTO, or consultant working with various platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the desire to share technical knowledge and information with others including working directly with press an bloggers