The Maschhoffs Production Technician - WTM in Mount Sterling, Illinois
The Maschhoffs, the largest family-owned hog production network in North America, is currently hiringa full time Production Technician for our wean to market farm near Mount Sterling, Illinois.
Job Overview: Employees in positions allocated to this level are responsible for the care, welfare, and day-to-day activities of the farm. They will ensure good production through the implementation of standard operating procedures, maintenance of accurate activity records, promotion of animal well-being, and practices of good environmental stewardship.
Job Duties & Accountabilities
Typical Duties of an Production Technician, Wean-to-Market include:
- Handle animals with care and respect at all times.
- Commit to being the best team member and individual that they can be.
- Promotion of safe working environment and reporting of all work related injuries.
- Implement the standard operating procedures (SOP) to the best of their ability. These include, but are not limited to:
- Following feeding strategies.
- Monitoring and maintaining proper temperature and ventilation rates.
- Sort animals according to body condition.
- Assist in the movement of animals, sort and relocation of “fall behind” pigs, removal of dead animals from pens and documentation.
- Using pharmaceutical (medication) and biological products (vaccines).
- Practices that are specific to their area of production
- Perform timely duties and comply with practices that promote the health of the animals under their care (commonly referred to as bio-security practices). These activities include, but are limited to:
- Changing footwear and clothing, and showering as required.
- Maintaining bird proof facilities.
- Observation of SOPs for transportation of livestock, supplies and feed.
- Rodent baiting on the inside and outside of the buildings, keep and maintain adequate rodent baiting records on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Isolation of disease areas and dead animal removal according to standardized protocol.
- Restriction of travel patterns and adhering to “down-time” requirements.
- Process and forward counts, records, logs, and schedules on time to designated personnel.
- Perform maintenance and repairs on buildings and equipment, as well as, housekeeping responsibilities of the barn facilities including trash removal, cleanliness of the office spaces, lunchrooms, and employee changing areas. No smoking is permitted inside any production facility.
- Implement best management practices for environmental stewardship including
- Proper regulation of manure storage facility (pit) levels
- Flushing time and recharge of manure handling systems within the barns.
- Proper recording of water usage.
- Report violations of the above practices to their supervisor.
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
High School Diploma or GED
Prior agriculture experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1) Knowledge of:
- Company policies and systems standard operating procedures
2) Skill in:
- Effective communication skills
- Maintenance of a safe working environment
- Reporting all work related injuries
- Demonstrating respect to co-workers
3) Ability to:
- Work with animals
- Follow verbal/written instructions
- Maintain complete and accurate records
- Work independently and as a team player
- Maintain confidentiality
The Maschhoffs offer competitive wages and exceptional benefits.