General Motors Staff Engineer - Advanced Transmission Controls - GPS0000705 in Milford, Michigan
Staff Engineer- Leads advanced propulsion systems controls projects.
Responsible for controls development and testing of engineering projects where creativity and initiative are involved as well as independent judgment.
Provides technical direction and expertise in determining and creating controls solutions and software recommendations for GM’s AdvancedTransmission Controls Group.
Exercises technical direction over other engineers or engineering support personnel and may have work direction responsibilities over a small group with specific engineering objectives. Consults with supervisor as required.
Assesses organization’s controls development methods, tools, and practices against corporate standards and best practices.
Assists product execution teams in determining the scope and sufficiency of future product initiatives.
Initiate and support software design reviews for new and updated designs.
- Creating new algorithms, models, and software for special vehicle functionality
- Integrate controls and diagnostics software into existing software infrastructure
- Generates technical solutions for futuretechnologies
- Implements engineering changes
- Initiates documents to provide engineering direction.
- Defines system requirements
- Solves engineering related problems
- Works with engineering functions, suppliers, and others to implement product improvements, and to support getting new technologies to the production teams
- Plans and implements test and/or development programs
- Communicates information to and from internal and external customer organizations
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products
- Travels as required
- Master’s Degree in Engineering
- 5+ years experience with algorithm development for powertrain controls
- 5+ years experience with technical project leadership
- Experience with development of powertrain controls using modeling and simulation tools
- Experience with application of model-based control strategies to powertrain controls
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to describe technology coherently at a high level or in technical detail as situation and audience require
- Proven record of innovation in powertrain controls (patented technologies implemented in production)
- 5+ years experience within the areas of algorithm development and calibration specifically for automatic transmission controls
- Advanced engineering degree (MS or PhD) including focus on model-based control theory
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.