General Motors Senior Steering systems Engineer - ENG0032663 in Milford, Michigan
Opportunity for an experienced engineer to become a Senior Steering Systems Engineer in the Chassis Systems Engineering Organization. The Senior Steering Systems Engineer is responsible to ensure that system engineering methods are applied during the creation, development and validation of steering systems. The Senior Steering Systems Engineer is responsible for specifying steering system requirements, analysis, bench marking, test procedures, issue resolution and validation. This person will verify that the steering systems work as expected under all operating conditions with nominal, six sigma and failed components.
- Become the global system expert for steering systems
- Integrate new steering systems and steering features into existing and future vehicle architectures
- Works with other Steering Systems Engineers to understand the functional and physical properties of a steering system
- Use analysis tools to iterate solutions that optimize system performance and component contributions
- Translates steering feature requirements into functional/physical system technical specifications and decompose those requirements to sub-systems and components as required
- Seeks input from other engineering areas (e.g., service, manufacturing) for specifications
- Use change management process/tools for configuration management of specifications.
- Drive communization of Feature implementation where possible (i.e., reduce unnecessary complexity)
- Create system DFMEA and ensure linkage to component DFMEA and manufacturing PFEMA.
- Support development/validation test procedure development
- Interact with the various component release engineers to ensure alignment between system/subsystem/component boundaries
- Work with component and vehicle engineering to ensure system/subsystem interfaces are working as defined
- Supports the steering organizations sourcing process with specification development and supplier technical reviews
- Provide technical steering system support throughout all phases of the vehicle program to ensure robust program execution and performance
- Provides technical leadership and support for Advanced Technology Work (ATW) projects with Chassis
- Define / perform competitive vehicle benchmarking in support of feature and system performance target setting
- Identifies, tracks and resolves engineering issues
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products
Travels as required
Candidate must have one of the following engineering degrees: BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering or Computer Science Engineering
- Understand the engineering theory and principles of Steering Systems, including mechanical systems, electromechanical devices, electric motors, and electrical control units
- Four or more years’ experience with steering systems and electrical devices
- Understand Steering System development, verification, validation and vehicle manufacturing processes
- Understand Steering System hardware design and failure modes
- Understand appropriate content for Vehicle and System Level Specifications
- Understand the capability and application of various analytical tools
- Proactive / results driven individual with high levels of initiative
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex
- Strong track record of solving complex problems and outlining the strategy by which others can solve a problem
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and negotiate effectively with others to meet mutual goals
- Be comfortable and willing to make decisions and assume the risk with those decisions.
- Needs to be open minded, optimistic, approachable, easy to work with and willing to mentor individuals within their own area and other organizations
- Ability to learn, apply knowledge and work independently with minimal supervision.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.