DigitalGlobe Staff Systems Engineer in Longmont, Colorado
Staff Systems Engineer
About the Company
DigitalGlobe is a leading provider of commercial high-resolution earth observation and advanced geospatial solutions that help decision makers better understand our changing planet in order to save lives, resources and time. Sourced from the world’s leading constellation, our imagery solutions deliver unmatched coverage and capacity to meet our customers’ most demanding mission requirements. Each day customers in defense and intelligence, public safety, civil agencies, map making and analysis, environmental monitoring, oil and gas exploration, infrastructure management, navigation technology, and providers of location-based services depend on DigitalGlobe data, information, technology and expertise to gain actionable insight. DigitalGlobe is a public company listed on the NYSE as DGI, and is headquartered in Westminster, Colorado.
Successful SE candidates will have experience with spacecraft operations and large, complex systems, and are expected to leverage their experience to quickly learn all aspects of our ground systems from ordering, planning and tasking, raw telemetry data processing, core image processing, data management and discovery, web/cloud hosting and distribution, etc. Staff Systems Engineers are responsible for owning features, helping with defining user stories and acceptance criteria, and providing technical support to scrum teams in order to keep the development and implementation process flowing.
- Support the Agile Software Development Life Cycle process used to facilitate system baseline changes; taking ownership of those deliverables expected from the customer organizations.
- Manage component/service-level requirements and provide traceability to design documentation, test cases, and operational training material.
- Work directly with product owners, other systems engineers, program managers, developers, testers, and customers to define features and user stories to generate optimal system designs.
- Create system-level functional flows with an ability to frame all requirements inside those flows.
- Create draft flows and lead design sessions with component SMEs to create preliminary designs.
- Work directly with internal software development and operations teams, as well as 3rd party software vendors.
- Develop as-built models and design documents for software components to ensure up-to-date docuementation.
- Continually learn about our evolving complex systems with particular focus on spacecraft to ground interfaces.
- Make contributions to the enterprise vision, engineering processes, and overall architecture roadmap.
- Lead design sessions with internal clients from back-end processing to user interfaces, with an emphasis on mission control and production segments within the ground systems.
- Manage client expectations to ensure realistic deliverables and then exceed those expectations.
- Troubleshoot commanding and telemetry systems, may require interpreting hex dumps and scripting tools for team use.
- Coordinate team responses to large scale dynamic requests.
- Mentor other SEs and build rapport with other collaborators such as spacecraft engineers and component software developers.
- Working knowledge of Agile development principles and best practices
- Proficiency with requirements management processes and tools
- General knowledge of spacecraft subsystems
- Experience working with Enterprise Architect, SysML and Model-Based Systems Engineering practices.
- Medium to extensive systems engineering and operations experience
- Currently hold or able to obtain US Government clearance
- Strong listening, written and oral communication skills
- Strong sense of self-motivation is essential – must be willing to be actively involved in the details of the system design and operability
- Successfully multi-task to handle multiple priorities
- Able to identify and resolve project issues independently
- Strong teamwork and collaborative skills
- System performance measuring and tuning experience
- Full knowledge of multiple development methodologies (Waterfall, Spiral, Scrum/Agile)
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) or Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) is a plus
- Service Oriented Architecture experience is a plus
- Software development experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Business, or similar study.
- Minimum of five years related engineering or operations experience with increasing responsibilities.
DigitalGlobe offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off
Applicants for this position will be required to take and pass a drug test.