General Motors Supplier Quality Engineer - ENG0031520 in Lockport, New York
At General Motors, we’re building on our recent momentum and we’re changing the way we do business. We are recruiting talented individuals from the nation’s top universities, Fortune 100 companies, and other highly technical automotive / non-automotive organizations.
Now in our second century, we are seeking the next generation of “game-changers” – those who can usher in a new era of automotive innovation and creative thought. Are you energetic? Are you highly motivated? Do you have a natural curiosity to solve problems and improve the greater team? If so, take a look at the opportunity below!
About the Supplier Quality Engineer role:
The Supplier Quality Engineer is the technical liaison between Purchasing, GM Product Engineering, GM Manufacturing, and our Supply base. In this role, the Supplier Quality Engineer will work with the suppliers to resolve supplier manufacturing issues, implement and monitor Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) systems, and provide technical support throughout the lifecycle of a particular commodity ensuring the supplier has “Quality at Rate.”
The Supplier Quality Engineer will be responsible to:
- Assure suppliers understand product and APQP submission requirements.
- Review and approve supplier’s quality plans (Production Part Approval Process) for production of components to support new program launches.
- Review suppliers manufacturing processes and quality systems.
- Implement and monitor the supplier’s part qualifications and certifications.
- Determine root causes of supplier’s manufacturing problems and implement timely, effective, and efficient quality solutions.
- Improve supplier’s quality performance using the appropriate quality tools, conduct workshops, and or provide technical support as required.
- Provide suppliers with startup assistance during launch of new products or during the implementation of product / process changes.
The Ideal Supplier Quality Engineer will also have:
- Experience with tool procurement, process controls, and quality systems.
- Understand root cause analysis and correlate defects to process parameters, tooling adjustments, and material properties.
- Ability to read, understand and translate product print requirements into robust process control documentation. Deep PFMEA understanding.
- Knowledge of GD&T product specifications to recommend and approve gaging concepts and gaging requirements.
- Knowledge of industry standards and quality trends.
- Ability to network and leverage knowledge to innovate
- Apply lessons learned and apply read across of best practices.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Minimum Required Qualifications
At least 3 years of experience in quality, engineering / tooling design, or manufacturing.
- Proficient in print reading and interpretation / communication of part measurements.
- Understanding of print GD&T.
- Demonstrated knowledge of probability, statistical quality control, Design of experiments, lean concepts, statistical problem solving, and six sigma (DFSS).
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing and assembly plant processes, procedures, facilities and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate quality problems and to apply sound technical judgment to develop potential solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and lead diverse cross functional teams simultaneously.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
- Previous coursework / experience in probability, statistics, SPC.
- Manufacturing, Process or Quality Engineering experience in Plastics, Seals, Metal forming, machining, brazing and / or plating.
- Tier I or automotive OEM Quality experience.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (preferred mechanical, electrical, materials, or chemical) or related technical field.
- Master’s degree in Business or Engineering a plus