Indian Health Service Environmental Engineer in Lame Deer, Montana
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Lame Deer, MT
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (10 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (1 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position is located in the Division of Environmental Engineering, Office of Environmental Health & Engineering Services, Billings Area Indian Health Service, Billings, Montana.
The duty station may be in Billings or Lame Deer, Montana. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Oversee the Branch of Environmental Health, Sanitation and Construction Services, this includes supervisory responsibility for positions within the Branch.
- Work with large complex projects pertaining to water system controls and water storage facilities, which include sewage pumping stations, sanitary sewer systems and water treatment and disposal.
- Construction of new facilities, as well as additions to or improvements of existing facilities.
- Prepare preliminary project summaries, including recommended facilities and cost estimates, plans, specifications and detail drawings for sanitation facilities.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel required.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week. For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume. BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
- OR - Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by the criteria identified in the OPM Qualifications Standard for this position series which can be viewed in it's entirety by clicking: (https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/allprofessional-engineering-positions-0800/) Additional Requirements: GS-11: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-09. To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-11 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-09) level that included duties such as: Understand and apply professional environmental engineering principles and concepts to projects. Apply basic engineering practices, methods and techniques to design work, i.e., preparation of layout and detail drawings to various types of waste treatment and sewage facilities. Perform calculations pertaining to surveying, pressure loss, pump sizing, required capacities and flow rates, size of pump, etc.. Maintain records, i.e., cost accounting, construction reports, status reports on designated projects. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, October 28, 2016
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/ Loan Repayment Program (LRP):
The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. Recruitment incentives may or may not be authorized. A service agreement will be required. This position has promotion potential to the GS-11 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $59,246.00 to $77,019.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0819-11/11
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) eligible; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A, and/or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 453588500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-BI-1827050-ESEP/MP