Washington State DSHS Equipment Technician 3 in Lakewood, Washington
The Department of Social and Health Services, Consolidated Support Services is seeking an Equipment Technician to join their team! In this role you will perform preventative maintenance and repair on light and heavy vehicles for Western State Hospital (WSH).
Some of what you'll be doing
- Perform lube service on heavy and light equipment such as dozer, graders, backhoe front loaders, forklifts, boom trucks, snowplows, garbage packers, emergency generators, light automobiles/trucks, tractors, push/riding mowers, and generators.
- Perform preventive maintenance inspections to determine when repairs and overhauls are necessary to maintain equipment operating condition.
- Perform repairs on engines, transmissions, differentials, auto systems (both gas and diesel), body and chassis repairs and tire work.
- Operate shop equipment such as valve grinder, wheel balancer, hoists, drill press and automotive testing and diagnostic equipment.
- Use "Service Inspection Form" to record preventive maintenance work done on vehicles.
- Perform emergency roadside service on disabled vehicles.
- Perform emission testing on emergency generators, gas and diesel vehicles to meet EPA standards. Perform skilled maintenance and repair work on heavy equipment and trucks, automobiles, motorized lawn equipment.
- Keep records, make reports, secure bids for new equipment, establish equipment inspections and servicing schedules and directs other helpers. Equipment serviced includes passenger/wheelchair busses 10,000 to 28,000 GVW.
What we're looking for
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills, good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Savvy leadership skills and are able to take charge when situations warrant.
- Mastery over a wide variety of integrated skills, such as the electrical system, fuel system, and the air conditioning system.
- Ability to decide on the most efficient course of action to complete various jobs.
- Ability to evaluate the complexity of jobs to determine if they can be successfully completed.
- Ability to use computer applications and computerized machinery such as diagnostic scanners and wheel alignment machines.
We are most interested in applicants who meet the following qualifications:
Individuals with a high school diploma or GED AND three (3) years of experience in the performance of preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey level mechanic AND a valid drivers license.
Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment and/or industrial/commercial equipment repair, including welding may substitute year for year for up to two years of experience, or one year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment, or journey-level standing as a heavy equipment and/or industrial/commercial mechanic as demonstrated by completion of a recognized apprenticeship; or by journey-level standing as recognized by a labor union.
Western State Hospital is a psychiatric hospital serving western Washington providing evaluation and inpatient treatment for adults with serious or long-term mental illness. Located in the historic town of Steilacoom just south of Tacoma, Western State Hospital is less than an hour's drive from Seattle. Outdoor recreation is not far away and the alpine playgrounds of Mt. Rainier, the Cascade Mountains and Pacific Ocean Beaches are an easy drive. Western State Hospital is one of the largest psychiatric hospitals west of the Mississippi River with over 800 beds and 2000 full-time staff. To learn more about Western State Hospital and how our staff makes a difference in transforming lives click here.
Screening of application materials will be on-going with first review October 3rd. We review applicants weekly and encourage you to apply as early as you can. Supplemental Information
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384. If you have questions about this exciting opportunity, please contact Brenda Fitzpatrick at (509) 363-5032 or firstname.lastname@example.org and reference 09508.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-09508
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Closing: 10/23/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $3,212.00 - $4,208.00 Monthly
Location: Pierce County – Lakewood, WA