Indian Health Service Nurse Midwife (OCA)(DH) in Kyle, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
Many vacancies in the following locations:
- Kyle, SD
- Pine Ridge, SD
- Wanblee, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (11 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 2/9/2017 (107 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1624604-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, OB Department, Pine Ridge, Kyle, Wanblee, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the OB Supervisor.
DIRECT HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUCEMENT: These positions are being filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hiring Authority (DHA). The "Direct Hiring Authority" has been authorized by Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 code of the Code of Federal Regulations (5 CFR). IF filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: All applicant(s) who meet the basic qualifications requirements will be forwarded to the "Selecting Official" for consideration. The rule of three, 1) Veteran(s) Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants, do not apply to the Direct Hire process. 2) Indian Preference does apply.
- Provides medical and nursing care for mothers and babies from the highest risk segment of the maternal-child population in the U.S. Works collaboratively with the physician in medically complicated situations.
- Provides primary health maintenance functions (such as pap smears, family planning, health teaching, etc.) for essentially well women throughout the reproductive cycle within the framework of established clinical practice agreements.
- Utilizing the nursing process, manages antepartum, labor and delivery and postpartum care and provides teaching, counseling and support to obstetrical clients in accordance with established clinical practice agreements and in close collaboration with senior midwife or physician.
- Manages ante-partum, labor, and delivery, newborn, and neonatal care, provides teaching, counseling and support.
- Works collaboratively with the physician in management of selected complex medical problems in pregnancy, using consultation and referral as appropriated.
- Provides leadership in comprehensive nursing, preventative, and therapeutic health care service to patients and family members, in a variety of settings from community based primary care facilities to medically directed health service.
- Serves in a teaching capacity in the development of other health care workers.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses MAY BE authorized and MAY BE PAID. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
REGISTRATION: Applicants MUST have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained.
EDUCATION: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
GS-11: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level; OR, Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent); OR, Three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education.
GS-12: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED: Experience and skill with pharmacology of contraceptives, anesthetics, intravenous solutions, uterine stimulants, antibiotics, and other agents used to treat common medical problems, in order to prescribe, administer, and monitor medications, controlled drugs, sedatives, and tranquilizers is also required in order to administer and monitor effects when prescribed. Experience to anticipate and recognize deviations from normal in order to institute measures to safeguard the well being of women and babies. Experience and skill with emergency measures and the ability to institute treatment. Experience and skill with sufficient to properly perform atraumatic delivery techniques, anesthesia, minor surgical and resuscitative techniques, specialized equipment and contraceptive devices. Experience as a nurse-midwife they work alone or as a team leader of multidisciplinary team. Experience and skills as a nurse-midwife, functions with high degree of autonomy; the extent and nature of supervision varies with the setting and the particular kinds of patient problems the nurse-midwife is expected to encounter. Experience as a nurse-midwife is self-directed and has considerable independence and latitude to develop new procedures, practices, and approaches.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled. Applicants for nurse anesthetist positions at GS-9 and above must have graduated from a course of study for nurses in anesthesia of at least 18 month's duration that was accredited by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the year of their graduation. Applicants applying for nurse midwife positions must have completed an organized program of study and clinical experience recognized by the American College of Nurse Midwives.**
*EVALUATION OF EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.***
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, February 09, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Government housing may be available - depending on availability.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
- Recruitment and relocation incentive maybe authorized.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,081.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-11/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: This is an "Open Continuous Vacancy Announcement" and applications will be referred as vacancies occur. **Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a one year service agreement will be required.
Control Number: 453492200
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-GP-1825931-DH