Indian Health Service Nurse/Clinical Nurse (ER) - DH in Kayenta, Arizona
Indian Health Service
6 vacancies in the following location:
- Kayenta, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 2/1/2016 (265 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (69 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-KA-1615963-ESEP/MP, for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is located in the Emergency Room of the Kayenta Service Unit, Ambulatory Services. This position requires the Nurse to have professional knowledge of specific patient conditions and treatments. The incumbent will be reporting to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse in Emergency Room Department.
This position is located in the Emergency Room of Kayenta Service Unit, Kayenta, AZ. The incumbent performs a variety of nursing care procedures and treatments for Urgent or Emergency Services to a variety of patients:
- Assesses all patients for emergency care and triages patients;
- Initiates treatments, medications, emergency and resuscitative measures;
- Administers therapeutic measures;
- Observes, assesses, and stabilizes critically ill pediatric, adult, and geriatric patient's health status;
- Operates and monitors specialized equipment;
- Initiates, participates, and presents cases in multi-disciplinary care;
- Maintains Emergency Nursing skills
- Collaborates in developing and evaluating Standards of Care; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel
- To attend meetings; patient transport
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Must provide a copy of the Registered Nurse License
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
An active, unrestricted registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
GS-05: Completion of a program of less than 30 months duration or associate degree AND 1 year of professional nursing, or of at least GS-4 level Practical Nurse under the supervision of a professional nurse OR completion of a program of at least 30 months' duration or 4 academic years above high school or bachelor's degree.
GS-07: Completion of a professional nursing program AND 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level OR 1 full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-09: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level.
GS-10: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level.
*Specialized experience: *Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks: work experience reflecting knowledge of hospital policy and procedures relating to patient care. Work experience managing patient care in varying medical situations.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive (may or may not) be authorized.
Housing maybe available.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The Incumbent works in a regularly assigned rotational or call back basis to provide continuity of patient care during evening, nights, holidays, and weekends.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $48,044.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-05/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens; PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply to the merit promotion announcement in order to receive consideration.
Control Number: 428625800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-KA-1617323-DHA