Indian Health Service Nurse Midwife - DHA in Kayenta, Arizona
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Kayenta, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 3/15/2016 (225 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (66 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-KA-1653171-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is located at Kayenta Health Center, Outpatient Department, Kayenta, AZ. The purpose of this position is to provide primary care, teaching and consultation. The Incumbent will be supervised by the Chief of OB-GYN or his designee.
This position is located at Kayenta Health Center, Outpatient Department, Kayenta, AZ. Routine duties shall include providing maternal health care services. The incumbent:
- Provides independent care to mothers and babies
- Collaborates in setting medical and nursing standards and protocols
- Participates in designing and conducting research
- Provides advice and serves as a health consultant
- Collaborates in planning and participates in teaching in educational programs
- Determines the need for ultrasound exams
- Admits patients, obtains and records medical histories
- Teaches, directs and/or supervises other heath professionals and students
- Does pelvic examinations and Pap smears
- Occasional Travel
- To attend meetings
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreemetn. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Must attach a copy of Nurse Midwife Licensure
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education:Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration:Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
NOTE:Candidates can apply within six (6) months of meeting the education and/or licensure requirements. However, evidence of meeting the requirements must be provided and verified prior to entrance on duty.
**In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
GS-09: Applicants must have had 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree.
GS-11: Applicants must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level or completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education.
GS-12: Applicants must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level.
Evaluation of Education:Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled. Applicants for Nurse Midwife positions must have completed an organized program of study and clinical experience recognized by the American college of Nurse Midwives.
Evaluation of Experience:Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-09 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Professional Nurse Experience:Work experience reflecting independently providing comprehensive nursing care related to maternal-child health care. Work experience in providing medical and nursing care of patients in the antepartum period and during labor and delivery.
Selective Factor:In addition to the qualification requirements, to be rated basically qualified for the position, applicants must demonstrate possession of the following: Verification of current, valid, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized.
Housing maybe available.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-12 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facilities.
- Work requires prolonged standing, walking, lifting of patients, night and weekend call, irregular shifts and overtime hours.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens; PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply to the merit promotion announcement in order to receive consideration.
Control Number: 432705400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-KA-1653304-DHA