Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services Counselor in Inglewood, California
Scope of the position
Residential Counselors will have an active role in the crisis stabilization and support of adults who have persistent or acute mental illness, which can also include co-occurring disorders.
Our crisis services are provided in a structured, intensive program for up to 28 days. Our clients can come from outpatient intensive programs to avoid hospitalization, or directly from hospitals to continue their crisis stabilization within a warm, house-like atmosphere.
The schedule for this position is Friday through Tuesday 3:00 to 11:30 p.m.
- Provides supervision to clients with a history of mental illness. This could include case management, intakes, education, and crisis intervention.
- Interfaces with such agencies as the DMH, criminal justice services, Public Health and other related community agencies and resources to give and receive information relative to clients.
- Maintains documentation of all daily progress notes and ensures compliance with Agency policies and procedures, contracts and other regulatory agencies.
- Observes clients with self administering medications and drug screening as needed.
- Provides crisis intervention and facilitates conflict resolution among the clients.
- Chaperons group sponsored trips and social functions; may drive seven-passenger van to transport clients; escorts/transports individuals to appointments outside facility.
- Develops and maintains counselor skills through seminars, workshops, or other forms of training/education.
- Actively participates in all team and staff meetings, community meetings and supervision/consultation.
- At least 1 year experience in a related environment, particularly working with dual diagnosis clients.
- At least a High School diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of case management and conducting/facilitating individual and group counseling sessions for appropriate clients to be served.
- Knowledge of mental health programming, psychiatric crisis intervention, documentation and group/individual counseling in a multi-cultural and socio-economic environment.
- Strong PC and communication skills.
- Experience utilizing analysis and judgment to make decisions within outlined policies and practices.
- First Aid CPR certification required of all Residential Counselors. Non-certified individuals hired into the position must be willing to complete certification course within 30 days of employment.
- Current California driver license and a driving record acceptable to the Agency's insurance carrier.
Candidates must be able to clear all criminal background checks in order to qualify for this position or be in possession of an exemption from the Department of Social Services.
Requisition Number: 16-0193
Post Date: 9/15/2016
Full Time/Part Time: FT/Non-Exempt - Hourly
Pay Frequency: Semi-Monthly