HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Registered Nurse (RN) PRN Post Surgical Unit in Houston, Texas
The Registered Nurse coordinates nursing care for the patient and participates in patient / family education. Works collaboratively with ancillary staff and other patient care personnel in maintaining standards of professional nursing practice in the clinical setting. Assists the adult medical surgical patient to restore and/or maintain their optimal health. The medical surgical RN is skilled in assessing, diagnosing and treating actual or potential health problems. Performs tasks as a caregiver and a care coordinator. Participates in performance improvement activities to improve patient safety and quality of care. Maintains cultural and diversity awareness when dealing with patients, visitors, co-workers and other customers. Promotes a supportive, team-work oriented environment. Fulfills departmental responsibilities consistent with the long-range plan, mission, vision and values of the hospital.
License / Certifications / Requirements
1. Current Texas licensure with State Board of Nurse Examiners
2. Current BLS (Basic Life Support) certification required
3. ACLS certification is preferred.
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing required.
One year experience as a Medical Surgical nurse preferred. PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT Position requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) during various tasks/activities. PPE includes, but is not limited to, back support belts, gloves, masks, and safety glasses.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Supports the vision, mission and values of the hospital. 2. Administers blood and blood products according to hospital policy. 3. Assists with and supports the patient and/or patient's family/significant other in the end of life decisions. 4. Designates tasks to appropriate personnel using the seven elemental guidelines. 5. Initiates cardiac monitoring. 6. Interprets a life threatening cardiac rhythm during life supportive measures. 7. Performs all aspects of intravenous therapy. 8. Seven Elements Guide - Assigns responsibility to nursing staff members for providing nursing care to patients based on consideration of: 1. Complexity of patient care and required nursing 2. Dynamics of patient's status
3. Complexity oof the assessment required by the patient
4. Type of technology employed in providing nursing care
5. Degree of supervision required by each member of the nursing staff
6. Availability of supervision
7. Relevant infection control and safety issues 9. Accurately documents in the patient’s record a description of the nursing care provided.
10. Administers medication in a safe, knowledgeable and accurate manner. Follows laws, regulations, and hospital policy as it relates to controlled substances. 11. Assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of care for assigned patients, including discharge planning, utilizing an interdisciplinary team approach. 12. Assists the physician with examinations, tests and procedures. 13. Carries out physician orders in a safe and appropriate manner. 14. Completes and demonstrates proficiency with unit based clinical and age-appropriate nursing competencies. 15. Complies with applicable hospital policy/procedure.
16. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following 17. Ethics and Compliance. Accountable for behaviors relative to the values articulated in the Mission & Values Statement – “Will act with absolute honesty, integrity and fairness in the way we conduct our business and the way we live our lives.” Accountable for attending annual Code of Conduct training.
18. Monitors and observes the patient and accurately records changes in condition and reaction to medications and treatment.
19. Notifies appropriate individuals of changes in condition and utilizes the established chain of command when necessary. 20. Participates in hospital performance improvement activities to improve safety and patient outcomes. 21. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
22. Plans and coordinates patient/family teaching and assesses understanding of information provided. 23. Promotes an atmosphere of collaboration and teamwork by exhibiting professional behavior that demonstrates a commitment to the provision of quality patient care and support of a professional working environment.
24. Provides care and treatment that reflects appropriate infection control techniques and universal precautions.
25. Respects the patient’s privacy and maintains confidentiality of health care and other information. 26. Respects the rights of patients to include their cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values. 27. Responsible for knowing and complying with the rules and regulations relating to the education, licensure and practice of the professional nurse as set forth in the Nurse Practice Act, Texas Occupations Code and/or other statutes and regulations relating to the practice of professional nursing.
Title: Registered Nurse (RN) PRN Post Surgical Unit
Location: Texas-Houston-East Houston Regional Medical Center - Houston
Requisition ID: 00009-68201