HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Communications Specialist - Transfer Center in Houston, Texas
*Gulf Coast Division Transfer Center - Houston, Texas*
*Communications Specialist - Transfer Center Dispatch*
Serving patients throughout Greater Houston and South Texas,HCA Gulf Coast Divisionoffers comprehensive health solutions—including advanced medical care, education, and community outreach—at its ten hospitals and other free-standing facilities. This network model gives our patients access to a circle of care that is unrivaled in the region. From simple outpatient procedures to complex surgeries performed by specialists,HCA Gulf Coast Divisionoffers comprehensive care close to home.
Serving such a large and diverse region requiresHCA Gulf Coast Divisionto offer a range of programs that meets the needs of young and old, acutely ill and chronically ill. Just some of our services and outreach efforts:
- Twenty-four-hour emergency care, both at designated Hospital Emergency Centers and off-site Emergency Care locations
- Life-saving intervention during cardiovascular and neurological incidents
- Comprehensive women’s care, from obstetric care to minimally invasive gynecological surgery
- Neonatal and pediatric intensive care
- Inpatient and outpatient surgery, rehabilitation, and monitoring support
- Education programs – child birth and child care classes, surgical seminars, physician speaker series
- Management centers for diabetes, heart failure, and other complex conditions
- Community partnerships with the American Heart Association, Joe Niekro Foundation, March of Dimes, and others.
The Gulf Coast Division Transfer Center is looking for aCommunications Specialist - Transfer Center.
The primary purpose of this position is to receive and coordinate incoming requests for patient movement into, out of, and within the HCA GCD hospital system. The Communication Specialist will be responsible for facilitating the transfer of the patient to the appropriate facility based on patient needs or sending facilities request, finding and accessing the correct or requested type of accepting physician, obtaining acceptance at the receiving facility, and obtain appropriate transportation to transport the patient. The Communication Specialist is expected to work closely with Physicians and Nurse Administrators to ensure that the transfer requests are managed appropriately.
- Receives all incoming telephone inquiries and requests for assistance regarding patient transport and refers all appropriate requests (by protocol) to appropriate transport program/staff.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of program requirements and call receiving protocols, and appropriately routes calls to the transport team or Administrator for discussion/action.
- Communicates in a clear, concise and professional manner with callers, transport team, requesting agencies, hospital staff physicians, and public safety personnel.
- Activates transport teams and relays information concerning the location and condition of the patient. Initiates appropriate protocols regarding notification and determination of patient destination.
- Maintains records and other documentation associated with transports and/or the operation of the communication center.
- According to established HCA Gulf Coast Division procedures, initiates calls to appropriate physicians and facilities to verify patient acceptance, relay information concerning the medical condition of the patient and the estimated time of arrival, to prepare physicians and facilities to receive patients.
- Maintains records regarding computer documentation according to HCA Gulf Coast Division Policy/Procedure. Maintains an accurate, detailed communication log on all flights and ground transports in the software application provided.
- Operates base station radios, conducting and coordinating all radio communication.
- Provides necessary communication assistance in cooperation with other agencies including ambulances, law enforcement, and fire department, rescue groups and between hospital and aircraft, in accordance with applicable state and federal regulations.
- Efficiently and accurately transcribes patient medical data as transmitted by medical personnel
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of HCA Gulf Coast Division policies, procedures and protocols. Has a financial understanding of local EMS structure, protocol and procedures in area.
- Maintains proficiency at determining latitude, using a grid map or computer-mapping system, of a location described by transport requestors and plot/document every aircraft/vehicle movement on a map using latitude/longitude and landmarks transmitted by pilot/driver during transport operations.
- Receives documents and appropriately coordinates all communication between the communications center ambulances, and receiving hospitals/physicians via telephone and radio communication.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit and displays objectivity and respect of the views of others.
- Ensures compliance with FCC rules and regulations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system to identify potential patient safety issues.
- Ensures patient safety by correct disposal and transmission of PHI.
- Facilitates patient safety by providing communication assistance in cooperation with the EMS agencies, hospital personnel and physician’s to verify patient acceptance, relay information concerning the medical condition and estimated time of arrival, to prepare physician’s and facilities to receive and/or transfer patients.
- Current EMT certification is preferred.
- Minimum one year dispatch experience (preferably Emergency Medical Dispatch) and understanding of medical terminology.
- Must be able to type a minimum of 35 words per minute
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to self-manage by taking responsibility to initiate, assess and take action as well as ability to function calmly in stressful situations
- Must have basic knowledge of FCC rules and regulations for communications system and use.
- Functional understanding of communications equipment including telephone, radios, and recording equipment
- Knowledge of navigational terms is desired
- Must have basic understanding of computer functionality, windows based software functionality, and internet usage skills.
- Must have general knowledge and recall of geographical region of service area and familiarization of map reading.
Title: Communications Specialist - Transfer Center
Location: Texas-Houston-Gulf Coast Division Office
Requisition ID: 02660-70607