Canadian National Railway Company Technical Applications Analyst – Locomotive Onboard in Homewood, Illinois
ABOUT IT AT CN
CN harnesses the power of information every minute of every day to make better decisions. Almost every aspect of our business relies on technology; this is why CN invests around $100 million every year on IT projects and infrastructure. And with close to 1,000 in-house employees, CN's IT team is more than a first-class technology shop – they're railroaders, dedicated to helping our people work smarter and our trains run safely.
Right now, one of the team's biggest priorities is the Positive Train Control (PTC) project. PTC is a government-regulated initiative to better monitor and control train movements. It is a project of unprecedented magnitude and as such, its implementation implies significant disruption and changes to existing operating systems, including those aboard our locomotives.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB
As a Technical Application Specialist for this project, your job is to understand the design, networking environment and core functionalities of our locomotives' on-board systems inside-out, so that you can help successfully integrate the new application that will enable our locomotives to be PTC-capable.
We're looking for someone who is resourceful, methodical, and for whom collaboration and sharing knowledge is second nature.
In this job, you'll be required to share your time between your office, lab workbench, locomotive shops and out by the track. So you've got strong technical acumen, and you bring it to the front line, where the action is. If you're an avid learner, and want to know more about how a railroad operates from the ground up, this is the place to be.
- Troubleshoot, monitor and tune all PTC software on locomotives
- Engage with locomotive system manufacturers and third party developers to steer corrections or enhancements to current and new components
- Establish configuration change and firmware upgrade procedures
- Participate in system integration tests, both functional and non-functional
- Define and govern new specific locomotive class configuration
- Identify software deployment plan tasks to match hardware deployment of PTC
- Assist in developing and meeting a schedule for the deployment of PTC
- Understand the architecture and future development of on-board applications
- Work with FRA and CN personnel on the various regulatory inspections and tests to qualify CN for PTC operations
- Experience in L2/L3 support activities
- Proactive and resourceful mindset
- Knowledge of the computing platforms and environments used for PTC (at this time: Red Hat Linux, QNX, LynxOS, FreeRTOS).
- Experience in Use Cases and Test Cases, writing and execution
- Availability to cover off-shift hours, with possible disruption of weekends and statutory holidays, in order to accommodate operational requirements for the on-time implementation of PTC
- Experience with i-ETMS application, locomotive onboard systems and railroad operating practices
- Experience with railroad operations
- Experience with locomotives and its electronic and mechanical systems
Country: United States
Auto req ID: 7189BR