Department of Defense Education Activity Facility Operations Specialist in Grafenwohr, Germany
Department of Defense Education Activity
3 vacancies in the following locations:
- Grafenwohr, Germany
- Stuttgart, Germany
- Naples, Italy
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (6 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (4 day(s) away)
THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT REPLACES DODEA-HQ-16-1810391-B.
Department of Defense (DoD)
Department of Defense Education Activity Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA)
The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), through its Community Strategic Plan, has made a commitment to be among the world's leaders in education, enriching the lives of military-connected students and the communities by which they live. The mission to educate, engage and empower each student to succeed in a dynamic world is achieved through its five strategic goals of Student, School, Talent, Organization, and Outreach Excellence.
DoDEA employs more than 12,500 individuals responsible for the education of more than 86,000 students in schools located in 12 foreign countries, seven states, Guam and Puerto Rico. DoDEA is responsible for the oversight of two distinct educational systems, the Department of Defense Dependents' Schools (DoDDS), DoDEA's overseas schools and the DoD Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS), DoDEA's domestic school system. DoDEA is responsible for providing a quality education from pre-kindergarten through grade twelve for the eligible minor family members of DoD military and civilian personnel on official assignments.
If you are applying through Delegated Examining Unit (DEU) procedures, the following information applies to you:
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: This announcement is open to: All U.S. Citizens.
As a Facility Operations Specialist you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Responsible for managing a comprehensive District or School Complex level facility operations program consisting of facility maintenance, custodial services and grounds maintenance.
- Evaluate program effectiveness and establish budget control methods.
- Technical advisor for environmental issues related to the DODEA schools.
- Assist the assigned regional facility engineer with analysis and monitoring the space management of all facilities and comparing for facility upgrades or alteration.
- Serve as the contracting officers representative for the district school complex facility maintenance support, custodial and grounds contracts.
- Use existing maintenance management software for each school district location, to centrally track facility maintenance, custodial and grounds maintenance work being accomplished and resources expended for each site.
INFORMATION FOR OVERSEAS:
- Overseas tour of duty for Grafenwohr, Germany projected to be 36 months.
- Overseas tour of duty for Stuttgart, Germany projected to be 36 months.
- Overseas tour of duty for Naples, Italy projected to be 36 months.
- You will be required to sign a transportation agreement.
- Pre-appointment overseas medical examination and security clearance will be required for selected candidates and dependents who may accompany member on overseas assignment. Medical clearance must be maintained and renewed at a minimum of every 2 years as a condition of employment for overseas rotations.
- Medical Care: Applicants who have family members with special medical needs should ensure that prior to accepting a position overseas their family members' medical needs can be met. Access to care in a military treatment facility may not be available to civilian employees except on a space available basis. Consequently, host nation medical facilities may be the only care available. The availability and level of care at host nation medical facilities will vary by location.
- Selectee will be required to participate in direct deposit/electronic fund transfer in accordance with DoD Regulation 7000.14.R.
- Individuals hired from the Continental United States (CONUS) and their family members (who are US citizens) are required to obtain Official Passports prior to departure to the overseas area.
- Selected individual will be required to sign a mobility agreement as a condition of employment and must be available for worldwide placement and must be willing to rotate to any DoDDS or DDESS location.
- May be required to travel by military and/or commercial aircraft to a variety of overseas locations for meetings and conferences.
- May be subjected to a variety of environmental conditions typical of the overseas areas in which traveling, to include the potential for exposure to acts of terrorism.
- Any candidate applying, currently in an OCONUS location, the requirements of DoD 1400.25, Subject: DoD Civilian Personnel Management System: Employment in Foreign Areas and Employee Return Rights, dated July 26, 2012 are applicable (www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/140025v1230.pdf). For any candidate applying that is currently in an OCONUS location, the requirements of DoD 1400.25, Subject: DoD Civilian Personnel Management System: Employment in Foreign Areas and Employee Return Rights, dated July 26, 2012 are applicable (www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/140025v1230.pdf).
- Status applicants in their fourth year of an overseas assignment cannot be selected unless a waiver of the 5-year overseas service limitation requirement is approved.
- Candidates whose selection for this position will cause their overseas employment to exceed five-years will require an overseas tour extension approval.
- Locality rates of pay in CONUS will not be used for pay setting when transferring to an overseas/foreign area.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel by military or commercial transportation, including air or land, may be necessary in the performance of officially assigned duties.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS)
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Application materials must be received by 11:59PM EST on the closing date.
- This is an overseas position.
The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened from the Office of Personnel Management's (OPMs) Administrative and Management Positions qualifications requirements See: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1600/facility-operations-services-series-1640/
and https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=Group-Standards for OPM qualification standards, competencies and specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position as described in the MAJOR DUTIES and QUALIFICATIONS sections of this announcement by Monday, October 24, 2016. You must have one year Specialized Experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service (experience may have been gained in the private/military sector) giving the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position. Experience must be reflected in your resume.
Specialized experience required for this position is:
- Use a wide range of quantitative and qualitative methods to assess and recommend facility operations improvements.
- Provide guidance concerning applicable regulations, laws and policies related to facility maintenance.
- Establish and implement operating procedures and policies in accordance with established objectives and program funds.
- Coordinate with the contracting officer or resource manager to resolve issues relating to contract procedures, funding and fund disbursement.
- Perform a variety of administrative services related to contracts for repairs, maintenance, upgrades and/or replacements.
- Identify deficiencies and advise of unresolved problems that require immediate action and resolution.
- Prioritize and maintain appropriate documentation of actions taken and required in order to complete work assignments.
- Use of and maintaining data in specialized software tools.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following competencies: 1. Ability to use a wide range of qualitative and quantitative methods to assess facility management programs 2. Knowledge of management and organizational principles and practices as it relates to facility planning, budget planning, programming, and execution 3. Knowledge of facilities management policies, requirements, administrative practices and procedures. 4. Ability to provide technical advice. 5. Ability to communicate orally and in writing. 6. Skill in program management methods and practices
Individual Occupational Requirements:
Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study -- engineering, industrial arts, property management, or business administration.
Specialized Experience (for positions above GS-5): Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:
- Manage a maintenance program for office or apartment building complexes, hospitals, recreation facilities, military, or other special-purpose installations, including planning maintenance activities, and developing preventive maintenance programs.
- Conduct surveillance activities over construction and maintenance operations performed by a variety of private contractors, including reviewing project plans and specifications for workability, informing contractors of construction and reporting requirements, and supervising operations for conformance with project plans.
- Perform maintenance or construction work, including estimating material and labor costs for a variety of construction or maintenance projects (such as construction or maintenance of brick, frame, structural steel, reinforced concrete, and other type structures ranging from one- or two-story buildings to larger structures), directing actual work operations, and maintaining appropriate contacts with the organization funding the project.
Foreign Education: For further information, click on the following link: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time OVERTIME: Occasionally TOUR OF DUTY: Flexible RECRUITMENT INCENTIVES: Not Authorized FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA): Exempt FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: Not Required TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is NOT telework eligible OVERSEAS POSITION: If you are applying for a vacancy located overseas additional information regarding overseas employment can be found at http://www.dla.mil/Careers/Programs/overseas.aspx SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIREMENT: For more information please visit https://www.sss.gov Other Notes:
- Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement upon its closing for up to 180 days.
- Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
- For more information on overseas allowances and benefits, please visit: http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?contentid=231&menu;id=92
- For specific allowance rates visit: http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?contentid=231&menu;id=92
- Locality pay does not apply in the overseas area.
- Candidates must meet the physical and suitability standards both prior to and during employment in this position.
- All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement
- Work requires regular and recurring field and construction inspections, investigation, or surveys in which there is considerable amount of walking, stooping, bending and climbing.
What To Expect Next
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review will be made of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following Web address is provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Please review the General Application Information and Definitions at: http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
*NOTE: If you submit a resume but no questionnaire, you cannot be considered for the position. If you submit a questionnaire but no resume, you cannot be considered for the position. Your application will be appropriately documented and you will be removed from further competition against this announcement.
Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $62,101.00 to $80,731.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-1640-12/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453479400
Job Announcement Number: DODEA-HQ-17-1826216-DE