General Electric Senior Software Manager in Bristol,
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
GE Healthcare at http://www.gehealthcare.com provides transformational medical technologies and services to meet the demand for increased access, enhanced quality and more affordable healthcare around the world. GE works on things that matter - great people and technologies taking on tough challenges. From medical imaging, software & IT, patient monitoring and diagnostics to drug discovery, biopharmaceutical manufacturing technologies and performance improvement solutions, GE Healthcare helps medical professionals deliver great healthcare to their patients.
Learn More About Careers at GE
Learn More About GE Healthcare
GE is diversity. We aim to employ the worlds’ brightest minds to help us create an unlimited source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles - people like you!
As a Senior Software Manager of a software engineering group, you will apply your knowledge of management, software development methodologies, best practices and proven processes to deliver a quality software product on budget, within planned schedule with superb quality.
In this role, you will:
• Demonstrate very strong technical leadership and people management skills including solid communication and analytical skills with thorough understanding of product development and successful problem definition, decomposition, estimation and resolution
• Influence decision making through active partnership with cross-functional teams
• Manage strategic business partnerships and relationships through Technical, Financial, Contractual and Relationship management
• Own and manage the multiple rapid prototyping and product development budgets
• Coach, mentor and lead a diverse group of lean/agile software and user experience engineers
• Work with product owners across the business to understand market needs & vision; quickly translate that vision into demonstrable software
• Quickly define and deliver working software prototypes
• Work with product owners and architects to develop multi generation software technology plans
• Work directly with customers to understand business and technical needs
• Drive increased efficiency across the teams, eliminating duplication, leveraging product and technology reuse based on framework provided for the solution
• Support process improvements which guide the development, sustaining & support activities
• Work cross functionally with other business departments to align activities and deliverables
• Drive world-class quality in the development and support of products
• Keep project data relating to tracking and financials current
• Deliver resource strategy and plans, including use of 3rd parties/partners, etc., in support of development and support activities
• Plan and manage budgets related to scope of team
• Communicate effectively both within immediate team and GE leadership. Ensure team receives consistent messages and has clear understanding of business direction, strategy and results
• Build a world class software development team to consistently deliver complex software solutions of varying size and duration
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) or equivalent knowledge and experience
• Extensive professional experience in managing engineering organization or number of years in Master’s degree in computer science.
• Legal authorization to work in the U.K. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
• Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
• Must be willing to travel
• Must be willing to work out of an office located in UK.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
• Recognizes patterns and complexity in problems. Extracts decomposition algorithms, and strategically plans how to execute programs by understanding how best to decompose to expose / protect against risk
• Aligns with vision and roadmap established for the program and helps to tailor for regional need.
• Collaborates with engineering leadership for the P&L and ensures compliance with architecture, engineering practices and operating mechanisms established for the program.
• Demonstrates mastery of the intricacies of interactions and dynamics in Agile teams. Demonstrates advanced understanding of Lean Six Sigma principles (e.g., Black belt certified). Guides new teams to adopt Agile, troubleshoots adoption efforts, and guide continuous improvement. Provides training on Lean / Agile. Drives elimination of inefficiencies in coding process. Teaches XP practices to others. Actively embraces new methods and practices that increase efficiency and effectiveness
• Prioritizes projects based on an assessment of competitive needs. Anticipates areas of competitive vulnerability and offers plans to mitigate them
• Evangelizes new technology, predicts trends, and identifies new opportunities based on trends. Acts as industry expert by participating in defining standards and open source initiatives
• Creates a culture of customer focus and high performance to drive innovation. Continuous engagement with focus on GE HCP strategy for customer satisfaction
• Ensures compliance and adherence to the one GE HCP brand solution architecture and design.
• Establishes framework for a culture of successful collaboration by defining a common understanding of who has decision rights and accountability, and how collaboration and transparency are rewarded
• Establishes vision, Identifies and champions internal/external best practices, tools, and ideas to improve execution and quality. Drives an organization of efficiency, accountability and ownership
• Able to verbalize what is behind decisions and downstream implications. Continuously reflecting on success and failures to improve performance and decision-making. Understands when change is needed. Participates in technical strategy planning
• Uses critical thinking skills and disciplined approaches to help leaders and leadership teams resolve issues and define solutions. Evangelizes and contributes to the GE standards for critical thinking best practices and methodologies across the enterprise. Defines new critical thinking methods. Engages with external thought-leaders and communities on analytical and critical thinking methodologies
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity
• Evangelizes the notion that anything worth doing takes repeated effort and failure. Drives the organization toward a continued excitement of attaining the vision and goal in the face of resistance
• Innovates and integrates new processes and/or technology to significantly add value to GE. Identifies how the cost of change weighs against the benefits and advises accordingly. Proactively learns new solutions and processes to address seemingly unanswerable problems
Locations: United Kingdom; Bristol
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.