Rowan University Assistant Academic Advisor-(PSS4)-AFT in Glassboro, New Jersey
Rowan University is a public comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 17,300 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven colleges and five schools: the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked third among public institutions in the North by U.S. News & World Report.
Position Summary for UAS Academic Advisor: This Assistant Academic Advisor will report to an Associate Director of University Advising Services. The Assistant Academic Advisor will assist students in many aspects of the advising process, including supporting student understanding and application of University and program policies, requirements, and opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise students about academic requirements and selection of courses, in the form of both individual and group sessions (regularly scheduled evening hours and advising at the Camden campus or community colleges offering Rowan programs may be included)
- Provide career advising as it relates to major and course selection
- Consult with Senior Academic Advisor and/or Associate Director regarding problematic academic progress issues, interactions with parents, student complaints, etc.; refer any problems or difficult situations which arise to leadership
- Review and interpret placement and other standardized test scores, unofficial transcripts, and course prerequisites
Stay abreast of institutional information including admissions requirements, academic programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in university-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and federal mandates
Maintain up-to-date knowledge of degree program requirements
Understand and interpret for students the University’s academic standing policy
Provide guidance on relevant institutional policies and procedures
Understand the institution’s interpretation of FERPA rules for the release of student information to faculty, parents, students, etc. and consult with Senior Academic Advisor and/or Associate Director as needed.
- Maintain accurate records (including electronic notes) of interactions with students
- Refer students to the appropriate specialized staff for services such as tutoring, testing, counseling, financial assistance, study abroad, etc.
- Assist with new student orientations and admissions activities (e.g., Open House)
- Engage in professional development activities, including but not limited to, memberships in professional organizations; attendance at conferences, workshops, and training sessions; stay current with information technology skills (e.g., Banner)
- Participate in institutional student development and retention programs
- Position may require some evening and weekend activities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- One year of experience working with students in a post-secondary educational institution or other appropriate educational setting. A Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling in Education Settings, Student Personnel Services, or another field relevant to the position may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Significant experience providing support services in a higher education setting
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling in Education Settings, Student Personnel Services, or another field relevant to the position.
- Experience advising across a range of curricula preferred
- Experience in the relevant academic discipline(s)
- Experience working with students with a variety of academic interests and abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, student information systems (Banner), and internet
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills
- High level of customer service skills
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
Starting Date: August 21, 2017 or as determined by mutual agreement.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
Post Date: 07/17/2017
Job Number: 5480411
Facility: Rowan Main Campus
Department: Student Affairs
Status: Regular Full-time
Deadline Date: 07/28/2017
Salary: AFT Range 18
Location: Glassboro, NJ