Indian Health Service Nurse Specialist (Quality Improvement Coordinator) in Gallup, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Gallup, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/4/2016 (18 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (3 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
10-04-16: This position is being re-announced to solicit additional candidates. Applicants who previously applied to this announcement need not re-apply unless submitting updated information and/or missing forms. This position is located with the Division of Quality Management, Branch of Quality Management at the Gallup Indian Medical Center in Gallup, NM. The primary role of this position is to serve as a Quality Performance Improvement Coordinator for the Gallup Service Unit.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R1-GA-1767853-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
- Assesses the quality of care to assure that the services are effective and in compliance with hospital, agency and the Joint Commission standards of practice.
- Advises and interprets new procedures, practices and requirements to meet Joint Commission and/or agency standards. Participates in the development of policies and procedures and recommends to supervisors a plan of action as they relate to the performance improvement program.
- Assists in developing mechanisms for evaluating and monitoring patient care, and analysis of statistical data. Provides training sessions for supervisory and hospital staff as needed to meet established objectives.
- Initiates and coordinates investigation of patient care issues, possible Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) violations, and sentinel events to determine the degree, source and control of problems and contributing elements.
- Formulates and implements effective hospital self-assessment program and plans to comply with different accreditation requirements and is consistent with the priorities and objectives of the Service Unit and Indian Health Service.
- Occasional Travel
- 1-5 days a mont for training and/or meetings
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selective Service registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Current, Valid Nursing License
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
GS-12: Candidates must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level. Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Responsible for assuring the quality of care is in compliance with the program, including professional nursing concepts, principles, and practices. Collaborates with different departments to maintain standards of patient care. Provides consultation and guidance to Health care teams. The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain licensure requirements. If not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- This position has no promotion potential
- Government housing is not authorized.
- Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $80,731.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-12/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452454100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GA-1767852-DHA