Indian Health Service Nurse Specialist (Case Manager) in Gallup, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Gallup, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Tuesday 9/20/2016 (30 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (71 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-R1-GA-1774485-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements and for forms required. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
Assist reviewing records and making appropriate referrals, coordinating care, case management duties and discharge planning processes. Reviews cases/records of all new admissions, determining patients needs, writing referrals, follow up on referrals, and communicating closely with other disciplines. Provides patient/family education to have patient make decision regarding their health care. The position reports to Supervisory Clinical Nurse/Chief Nurse Executive. This position is located at Indian Health Service (IHS), Navajo Area Indian Health Service (NAIHS), Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC), Division of Nursing Services, Case Management, Gallup, NM.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information. OPEN UNTIL FILLED (OUF) -- Certificate will be issued after October 11, 2016. Certificates will be issued every 15 days until the position is filled.
- Fosters a collaborative process that promotes quality care and cost effective outcomes, which enhance the physical, psychosocial, psychosocial, and vocational health of GIMC patients.
- Reviews cases/records of all new admissions, determining patient needs, writing referrals, follow-up on referrals and communicating closely with other disciplines.
- Participates in case conferences between various disciplines, families and agencies involved in the patient care plans.
- Assists patient in understanding, accepting and adjusting to complications to diagnoses and treatment and accepting responsibility for medical care and treatment.
- Plans for post-hospitalization care, i.e., medical equipment needs for home use, referrals to other facilities for continuation of care, and/or referrals to social agencies for third party resources.
- Coordinates with the assistance of the multidisciplinary team, appropriate patient care to reduce length of stay, cost containment, and continuum of care.
- Provides guidance, in-service and orientation to Service Unit personnel regarding Case Management/Discharge Planning.
- Coordinates the available resources by identifying, mobilizing, and utilizing those resources to meet the patient's needs. Makes daily rounds on all units to meet newly admitted patients. Keeps current on patient's status as related to discharge or patient needs to prepare for discharge.
- Assist the Employee Health Nurse in updating immunizations, healthcare particulate respirator mask fittings and assist with other nursing duties.
- Occasional Travel
- Incumbent is required to operate a government-owned lease or private vehicle in the performance of assigned duties. A valid State Driver's License is required and must be maintained.
- Travel and relocation expenses will be paid in the interest of the government and not in the interest of the selected employee. Travel and transportation expenses will be paid in accordance with the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR).
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Must have active, current licensure registration
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
*Education: *Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks: Examples of professional nurse experience include: Assessment and evaluation of patient care utilizing knowledge of professional nursing concepts, principles, and practices pertinent to case management. Assesses patient's requirements based on medical diagnosis, family and home situation, age specific requirement, psychosocial factors, spiritual needs, educational needs, and ability to perform activities of daily living in regard to safety needs of the patient.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain an active, unrestricted Nursing license in any State (U.S.). If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
For GS-11: Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, December 30, 2016
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Promotion Potential: None Travel Required: Yes, incumbent is required to operate a government-owned lease or private vehicle in the performance of assigned duties. A valid State Driver's License is required and must be maintained. Relocation Expenses Paid: Travel and relocation expenses will be paid in the interest of the government and not in the interest of the selected employee. Travel and transportation expenses will be paid in accordance with the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR). Is position covered by PL 101-630? Yes, If "yes" (complete childcare addendum form) Is drug testing required? No Is government housing available? No Is this a bargaining unit position? Yes Alternative work schedule: call back, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays? Yes Immunization Record - Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectee born after 1957.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,081.00 to $84,624.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-11/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: All groups of qualified individuals
Control Number: 450930900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GA-1774288-DHA