HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Cardiothoracic Surgery Physician Assistant in Gainesville, Florida
/ North Florida Regional Healthcare is an organization centered around the community hospitals in Gainesville, Florida -- North Florida Regional Medical Center (NFRMC) and Lake City Medical Center (LCMC). NFRMC is a 432-bed, full-service medical and surgical acute care center serving North Central Florida and offering comprehensive // cardiovascular care // , // oncology // , // orthopedics // , // neurosciences // , // minimally-invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgery // , // weight loss surgery and treatment // , // women’s health // and // wound therapy // , among other services. / / / *Cardiothoracic Surgery Physician Assistant *
POSITION SUMMARY: * North Florida Regional Medical Center is rapidly expanding Cardiothoracic program. We have hired a 2ndsurgeon and are recruiting for a 3rdsurgeon. Seeking an experienced cardiothoracic Operating Room First Assist. The ideal candidate will have strong minimally invasive valve and coronary surgery experience, in addition to endoscopic vein harvest experience required. As a surgical Physician Assistant (PA), you will assist the cardiothoracic surgeon in the operating room (OR) for bypass, valve replacement/repair, and minimally invasive procedures. General thoracic surgery including thoracoscopic lobectomy/robotic lobectomy. Works directly with the cardiothoracic surgeon in the care of the surgical patient pre-, intra, and post procedure. T he primary responsibility for this position is to fill the role of First Assist in the OR. This will be on a rotation with 3 CT Surgeons .
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Performs and assists with surgical procedures under supervision of credentialed surgeons.
Keeps surgeon/physician provider informed of changes of patient status.
Synthesizes data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan. Performs physical exams and records findings.
Administers injections and oral medications. Sutures wounds. Prepares written prescription orders. Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures.
Provides patient education and interviews and advises patients regarding health and illness prevention.
Instructs patients and family regarding medications and treatment instructions.
Assists physician by recording patient progress notes and issues diagnostic orders.
Triages patient calls and provides consultation, monitoring and continuity of care between visits.
Performs independent evaluations and treatment procedures in emergency situations.
Attends required meetings and committees and participates as requested.
Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
Practices and adheres to the Code of Conduct of the organization.
Performs other related functions as assigned.
Obtains medical history and physical data on patients and reviews patient records.
Interprets and integrates data to determine appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
Responds in emergency situations and maintains BLS and ACLS certifications.
- Preliminary assessment of patients. Obtain complete history and perform complete physical assessment on new patients. Performs physical assessment on all patients with focus on cardiovascular system. Review results of primary tests evaluating cardiovascular status. Review results of tests completed since last visit and note changes.
- Clinical interface: Facilitate preoperative procedure. Harvest saphenous veins and radial arteries and assist in the operating room as needed. Prepare harvested saphenous vein/radial artery for coronary artery bypass grafting including making and closing incisions. Assist attending surgeon as either a first or second assistant. Participate in teaching fundamental operating room techniques including aspect technique, tying knots, Hemostasis, tissue handling, primary closure of sternotomies, thoracotomies, etc. Act as a consultant to operating room and house staff personnel concerning cardiac surgery protocols and patient care as designated by the supervising physician.
- Exhibit professional conduct in the provision of patient care. Maintain confidentiality of patient information. Work cooperatively with coworkers, physician and supervisor. Display ability to adjust to variable work schedule and patient volume. Accept and implement administrative medical changes and decisions as directed. Accept responsibility for own actions and decision
- Surgical call will be required every 3rd weekend and night
- Competitive salary and benefits
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: Graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant program. Florida License or eligible for Florida License
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
2 Years Cardiothoracic OR Experience
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES: Demonstrated skills in organization, verbal and written communications, customer service, math, analysis, reading, following instruction, basic computer usage.
Physician Assistant License from the State of Florida NCCPA Certification ACLS/BLS
An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D. Tobacco Free Campus.
To learn more about the facility, please visit our website at www.nfrmc.com
Title: Cardiothoracic Surgery Physician Assistant
Location: Florida-Gainesville-North Florida Regional Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00039-10538