HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Nurse Technician / Patient Sitter PRN in Fredericksburg, Virginia
SPECIFIC ELEMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Working under the supervision of a RN, the Nursing Tech / Patient Sitter’s primary responsibility is to ob serve patients who are at risk for adverse events (falls, self-injury, harm to others). The Nursing Tech / Patient Sitter will follow the plan of care for the patient as outlined by the RN and will keep the assigned patient under continuous observation at all times, including during transport and while using the bathroom. The Nurse Tech / Patient Sitter will provide diversionary activities when necessary, as well as report any changes in the patient condition to the co-assigned RN immediately.
· Receives handoff from RN who is assigned to the patient. Communicates with RN during shift about patient status.
· Performs hand hygiene before and after patient contact. Carries out isolation procedures and utilizes universal precautions.
· Maintains safe environment for patient by performing constant observation. Accompanies patient when leaving unit. Utilizes safety devices (bed rails, wheel locks). Notifies RN if tubes/catheters become disconnected or if patient condition changes from baseline.
· While performing constant observation, provides diversionary activities such as reading, play, TV. Orients patient to person, time and place, as needed.
· Anticipates needs for patient including placing useful items around patient and providing companionship as well as observation.
· With specific patients (including psychiatric admissions), observes for patients surroundings/belongings or if patient is trying to obtain items that could cause themselves injury or harm.
The position's tasks and responsibilities may include, on an as needed basis, the following:
· Performs and documents the following elements of general care: bathes, dresses/undresses patients, assists with personal hygiene, and changes bed linens.
· Serves and collects food trays. Assists with patient feeding.
· Transports, positions and drapes patients for exams and treatments.
· Assists patients in ambulating.
· Takes and records vital signs, weights, I & O, and Point of Care bedside testing.
· Assist with and empties bed pans, urinals, and urinary catheters.
· Provides encouragement, support and comfort to patients and family members.
· Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
· Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
· Orients and mentors new staff members.
· Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
· Functions in an organized and time conscious manner.
· Presents self in a professional manner.
· Communicates effectively and professionally with internal and external customers. Documents required information according to hospital policy.
Demonstrated skills in organization, verbal and written communications, customer service, math, analysis, reading, following instruction, basic computer usage.
High School graduate or GED.
Current BLS for Healthcare Providers through the American Heart Association required.
Currently certified as a CNA, Nursing Assistant, or successful completion of a Nursing Assistant training program, or enrolled in a Registered Nursing program with completion of first year, or certified as an EMT.
Prior employment as a Nursing Assistant or as a sitter in a hospital setting preferred.
Title: Nurse Technician / Patient Sitter PRN
Location: Virginia-Fredericksburg-Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
Requisition ID: 25325-12076