HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Emergency Svcs Paramedic PRN in Fredericksburg, Virginia
SPECIFIC ELEMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS*
· Contributes information to the assessment of the health status of Emergency Department patients
· Participates with nursing staff in the development and modification of a patient’s plan of care
· Assists nursing staff in implementation of plan of care and documents in patient’s chart, patient response to interventions
· Provides for patient safety
· Attends meetings and in-services as required by departmental policy
· Contributes to the growth and development of self and department
· Maintains good working relationship with patients, visitors, physicians, co-workers, and other hospital staff
· Maintains competence with charting system
· Maintains a well-stocked unit
· Communicates effectively with internal and external customers
· Maintains a neat and organized work place
· Functions in an organized and time conscious manner
· Presents self in a professional manner
· Maintain clear communication with ER physician and licensed nurse assigned to patient about all patient care issues.
· Assists licensed nurse with initial assessment. Receive patients from EMS personnel. Must have licensed nurseassigned to patient review and co-sign all written or computer patient chart entries.
· Assists the licensed nurse in triage, to include pre-screening of patients upon arrival to triage area, documentation ofinformation, and the provision of first aid as needed.
· Medics will maintain patient assignments in Fast Track in collaboration with the ER Provider assigned. Will be responsible for the discharge of all patients assigned under their care while in Fast Track.
· May also assist with the discharge of patients with Triage level of 3, 4 or 5. Instructing patients of Discharge paperwork and prescriptions ordered by provider.
· Monitor patients for arrhythmias, document EKG strips, and report findings to licensed nurse assigned to patient.
· Measure and record patient's input and output.
· Stock/check ED supplies and equipment.
· Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) projects.
· As appropriate, keep patients informed of their treatment plan.
· Hang crystalloid IV fluids at prescribed rate, as ordered by ER physician (only as per current released approved medication list)
· Chart on patient's Emergency Department Record as needed.
· Clean stretchers, closets, and cabinets as appropriate.
Transport monitored and non-monitored patients to inpatient units and diagnostic areas.
Tag and report defective equipment as per department policy
Assist physicians with central line insertions, lumbar punctures, defibrillation, cardioversion, chest tube insertion,
thoracentesis, arterial lines, and suturing.
Answer EMS radios and phones and document as appropriate
May perform the following procedures:
· Insert oral/nasal airways.
· Connect patient to oxygen and monitor.
· Provide humidified oxygen therapy
· Perform 12-lead EKG.
· Obtain urine and sputum samples.
· Initiate and discontinue peripheral intravenous catheters.
· Perform blood draws
· Perform CPR.
· Perform finger stick glucose monitoring.
· Perform oral suctioning.
Medics may perform the following procedures when fully released for unobserved work and competencies are maintained
· Perform needle chest decompression.
· Perform defibrillation, cardioversion (including vagal maneuvers), and transcutaneous pacing.
· Perform and confirm placement of endotracheal intubation of the adult patient (> 12 years of age)
· Placement and confirmation of supraglottic BIAD airways (i.e. King/Combitube)
· Insert, access, and utilize intraosseous lines.
· Access of port, lines, and catheters requiring sterile procedures (i.e. PICC, Central, Port)
· Perform endotracheal suctioning
· Placement and confirmation of Nasogastric and Orogastric tubes
· Medication administration via routes as allowed under current departmental approved medications list
· When released by supervisor, may become a Medic Preceptor in unit responsible for training new Medics starting in the position and/or providing additional training for those employees deemed in need of further remediation
Required – Minimum of 1 year ER or comparable field experience.
Preferred – Minimum 3 years active field experience as released VA Medic (documentation required).
Required - High school graduate or GED equivalent. Successful completion of a Medic
training course. Must have and maintain a Virginia Office of EMS Medic certification (or current equivalent). Must have and maintain AHA BLS, ACLS and PALS certification.
Preferred – BTLS/PHTLS/ITLS current certification, ATLS, and/or AMLS. Instructor Certifications in relevant areas. Associates degree or higher (more preference for higher degrees) in relevant life science, Paramedicine, or Fire Science areas.
Title: Emergency Svcs Paramedic PRN
Location: Virginia-Fredericksburg-Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
Requisition ID: 25325-12253