IDC Desktop Support Specialist in Framingham, Massachusetts
The IT Services Group of IDC is seeking a Desktop Support Specialist to work within their corporate offices, located in Framingham, MA. This position operates within the context of a larger, worldwide IT organization that provides systems design, development, administration and support to a global organization. This role is primarily focused on IDC's North American operations; however, situations occasionally arise whereby this position will be called upon to work in collaboration with their international colleagues.
The IT HelpDesk Support Specialist position is part of a collaborative team that provides technical support to both IDC's technical and non-technical staff. Many aspects of this position can be summarized under the heading of, “Helpdesk Duties.”
Responsibilities in this regard include:
- Responding to requests for technical assistance from staff, logging these requests into a Helpdesk database, and tracking Helpdesk tickets through to their resolution.
- The focus is always upon assuring that internal staff are well served by technology and that they receive friendly and expert customer service when requested.
- Customer requests for assistance are routinely presented to the IT Helpdesk either in person, via email, via telephone or via instant messaging. In response, this technical support position is called upon to comfortably and effectively interact through a variety of channels, with a variety of persons, at various levels of a corporate organization in order to resolve technical problems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are a requirement for this position. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to consistently demonstrate a pleasant manner, professional presentation in conjunction with technical competence.
- This position is a "hands on” role that requires the ideal candidate to possess an extensive knowledge of computer hardware, computer operating systems and various computer applications within the MS Windows sphere.
- This position will also require assisting senior IT staff in their efforts to provide customer support to internal staff.
- This assistance often involves logistics (such as shipping and inventorying IT related components) as well as computer configuration tasks (such as imaging and preparing new computer systems for deployment).
The requirements for this position include the following:
1.) Experience: (1-3) years of work experience within an IT organization, preferably within a Helpdesk and/or customer support role.
2.) Communication Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills. Positive personal presentation skills.
3.) Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrated interpersonal skills and professional presentation. Experience working within a collaborative environment with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
4.) Technical Problem Solving Skills: Experience resolving software and hardware problems within a primarily Microsoft PC environment. The ability to acquire and retain technical skills and knowledge experience, informal training and personal mentoring. Also, the ability to identify and remedy networking, printing and other LAN related faults. The capability to effectively evaluate technical faults in order to prescribe the appropriate solution.
5.) Technical Knowledge – Operating Systems: Experience with all recent vintages of MS Windows operating systems and applications. Experience outside of the MS sphere is welcome and encouraged.
6.) Technical Knowledge – Networking: A familiarity with network operating systems, networking technologies, especially Ethernet, WLAN, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, etc. is welcome.
7.) Technical Knowledge – PC Imaging: Experience with PC “imaging” and “cloning” technologies.
8.) Technical Knowledge – Applications: Exposure to a wide variety of software applications including MS Office, MS Outlook, Lotus Notes, Adobe, Antivirus tools, etc.
9.) **Physical # Requirements
**: The ability to lift and carry heavy IT equipment is required.
10.) Education: A bachelor’s degree or related experience is preferred, but not necessary.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,100 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries worldwide. For 50 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company.
IDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, handicap, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, ancestry, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or other categories protected by law
Req Number: 16-0193
Posting Date: 10/21/2016
Title: Desktop Support Specialist
Job Family: IT
Job Type: Full-Time
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)