Indian Health Service Fitness Specialist (TH2708) (TH2709) in Fort Thompson, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Fort Thompson, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 7/19/2016 (98 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: This position is located in the Special Diabetes Program for Indians (SDPI) Community-Directed Grant at Fort Thompson IHS Health Center. The purpose of this position is to serve as an Athletic Trainer and function as a member of the SDPI staff with primary functions being to assist patients on augmenting their exercise, assist staff with the preparation, implementation, and documentation of diabetes prevention activities in the community. Incumbent subject to cover rotational shifts (day/evenings), holidays and weekends.
This position requires operation of a motor vehicle for travel to various community meeting places. A valid driver's license is required. (Submit a copy)
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R2-GP-1707313-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
*ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED* Applications will be reviewed starting on August 1, 2016 and every 10 business days thereafter until filled.
- Assists the SDPI program coordinator and Health Technicians in the implementation of the intensive lifestyle education component of the Special Diabetes Program for Indians using the standardized curriculum.
- Works closely with participants and family member to identify ways to increase exercise and to develop exercise strategies to meet exercise goals.
- The incumbent will assist in the planning and implementation of community activities such as nutrition classes, exercise activities, and other grant related activities.
- The Certified Athletic Trainer will set up and break down patient modalities. The Certified Athletic Trainer will assist with management of the behavioral reinforcement and incentive components for participants.
- The Certified Athletic Trainer will assist in the planning and implementation of community activities such as nutrition classes, exercise activities, and other grant related activities.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Degree: major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position. AND The individual occupational requirements typically provide at least two methods for applicants to meet the basic requirements of the occupations covered by this standard:
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study or specific course requirements generally as stated in paragraph A in the individual occupational requirements.
- Where specific course requirements are not indicated in paragraph A, the number of semester hours required to constitute a major field of study is the amount specified by the college or university attended. If this number cannot be obtained, 24 semester hours will be considered as equivalent to a major field of study. The nature and quality of this required course work must have been such that it would serve as a prerequisite for more advanced study in the field or subject-matter area. Related course work generally refers to courses that may be accepted as part of the program major.
- Appropriate combination of education and experience that is typically specified in paragraph B of the individual occupational requirements. The "paragraph B" method generally requires that an applicant possess a core of educational credit, such as described in paragraph A above, plus additional education and/or experience. The method of determining the number of semester hours required to constitute a major field of study is the same as described in paragraph A.
- The quality of the combination of education and experience must be sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study with a major in the appropriate field. In addition to courses in the major and related fields, a typical college degree would have included courses that involved analysis, writing, critical thinking, research, etc. These courses would have provided an applicant with skills and abilities sufficient to perform progressively more responsible work in the occupation. Therefore, creditable experience should have demonstrated similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the work of the occupation.
AND SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR:
The candidate must possess a Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers by the National Athletic Trainers Association. Board of Certification is obtained for licensure through the NATA after the completion of education and internship.
GS-07: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level; OR, One (1) year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED FOR GS-07: Experience in communicating with physical therapists and physicians regarding patients' conditions, treatments and protocols. Experience in evaluating and advising on the organization, methods, and procedures for administrative support systems such as records, communications, directives, forms, files and documentations. Experience in ensuring that data is collected, managed and transferred accurately, on time, and according to grant protocol. Experience in assisting the development and dissemination of program information. Experience in inputting data entry of clinical performance indicators for data collection for health center management.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment. You may apply separately for each announcement if you want to be considered under each hiring plan.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $40,033.00 to $52,043.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0601-07/07
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN
Control Number: 445018800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GP-1742101-DE