Army Installation Management Command Maintenance Worker in Fort Greely, Alaska
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:To serve as a Maintenance Worker performing various maintenance support work in the area of Carpentry, Plumbing, Painting, Electrical and other miscellaneous work.
About the Location: Fort Greely is a remote location that is located in the Delta Junction commuting area. It is located 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks and 365 miles north of Anchorage. There is an abundance of wildlife in the area to include fish, bear, moose and caribou. Average summer daylight time is 18 hours with temperatures usually in the 60s or 70s; winter daylight time is 6 to 8 hours with temperatures in the 20s to -30.
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Perform intermediate level carpentry, electrical work, and painting to makes repairs or modify existing facilities.
- Perform intermediate level masonry, plumbing, pipe fittings and welding to makes repairs to existing facilities.
- Perform grounds/facility maintenance across the installation using mobile industrial machinery, such as tractors with front loaders and other attachments, and rough terrain forklift.
- Operate pick-up and up to 5-ton dump truck to transport equipment, parts, supplies, gravel, rock, sand, etc.
- Not Required
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS)/Relocation costs ARE authorized. Defense National Relocation Program (DNRP) is NOT being offered.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Army Civilian Employees
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment and annual physical
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Valid State Driver's License
- May require wear of protective clothing or equipment
- May be required to work nights, weekends, holidays and/or irregular hours
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a respirator fitness card
- Position has been designated as an Inclement Weather position
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Screen Out Element: Ability to do the work of a Maintenance Worker without more than normal supervision. Applicants must have sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to accomplish the duties of the position. Such knowledge, skills, and abilities must be clearly documented in your resume and must demonstrate skill and ability of performing the following duties under close supervision: measure, cut and replace wood boards and decking; replace minor plumbing fixture to include toilets and fixed leaky faucets; performed minor masonry work laying bricks; painted surfaces with brush and roller; and performed a variety of ground maintenance activities such as shoveling snow. Failure to meet the screen out element will result in an ineligible rating.
Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc. Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic) Use of Measuring Instruments Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprinting reading) Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment Knowledge of Materials
Physical effort: Work requires walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, bending, working in cramped positions and lifting items weighing up to 75 pounds. Work requires driving and manipulation of equipment gears, brakes, levers, etc., in performing test runs, operation, and movement of equipment.
Working Conditions: Work is performed indoors and outdoors. Incumbent will be exposed to heat, cold, dirt, dust, oil, grease and noise conditions. Incumbent is subject to bruises, scratches, cuts, and burns. Must exercise care in avoiding danger from moving vehicles and electrical devices. Hearing protective and other safety equipment must be worn during all periods of time incumbent is exposed to hazardous conditions. Working conditions are considered in the evaluation of the position and does not meet criteria for compensation by environmental or hazardous pay. Outside work exposes incumbent to extreme arctic weather conditions with temperatures exceeding 50 below zero. Will be required to wear special or other designated safety gear in performance of work.
There is no education substitution for this series or grade.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This is a Career Program Position (CP). CP-17
- Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program requirements as outlined in the DoD Instruction 1315.19 at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/131519p.pdf
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security clearance.
- Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs ARE authorized; Defense National Relocation Program is NOT authorized.
- Applicants selected from the contiguous United States (contiguous United States consists of the 48 adjoining U.S. states plus Washington, D.C., on the continent of North America) will be afforded pay retention to selectees whose basic pay would otherwise be reduced if selected for the position.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing date of this announcement.
- Since Alaska is considered an overseas location, statutory return rights are applicable in many circumstances.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476832500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-12 to 2017-08-21
Salary: $28.21 to $32.93 / per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 08
Series: 4749 Maintenance Mechanic
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: WTEV172125711998861
Control number: 476832500