General Motors Environmental Engineer - Flint Metal Center - FAC0000429 in Flint, Michigan
• Ensure the site complies with all applicable environmental regulations and GM guidelines.
• Review the regulations and GM environmental management requirements and determine site applicability and impact.
• Establish systematic processes to ensure regulatory compliance and corporate guidance conformance.
• Establish processes to identify potential noncompliant issues.
• Address noncompliance items immediately whenever possible and implement irreversible corrective action.
• Develop and/or help maintain required environmental monitoring and reporting (e.g., emissions testing) programs.
• Provide technical assistance for support personnel engaged in design, test and operation of environmental systems.
• Perform internal compliance reviews with appropriate validation.
• Assist in the preparation and review of site environmental reports and submit on time.
• Develop and maintain required regulatory plans in support of air, water, and waste management (e.g., SPCC, TOM,
• Maintain knowledge of the plant manufacturing systems including wastewater discharges, storm water management, air
emissions impacts, sewer systems, chemical usage, and waste management/recycling programs, to ensure regulatory
• Obtain technical and environmental regulatory training annually to maintain proficiency in the environmental area of
• Obtain/Maintain CHMM certification, by ensuring 24-hours training annually.
• Obtain training to respond to facility environmental incidents, 24/7 as required.
• Communicate environmental requirements to the plant staff to ensure their understanding and support.
• Actively resolve environmental issues with internal constituencies and elevate issues to the supervisor level if the issues
become problematic and persistent.
• Interface with other regional members, departments, divisions/groups, suppliers, and/or other customers.
• Actively participate in plant and regional meetings.
• Where necessary, supervise or guide the activities of hourly employees in environmental operations.
• Conduct and/or arrange required environmental training for hourly and salaried personnel.
• Gather data, analyze, interpret, and prepare technical reports for plant leadership.
• Communicate to site leadership environmental performance, utilizing plant scorecards and business plan deployment
• Regularly exchange information with others within the plant staff, Environmental HQ, GM Legal, and other GM locations.
• Interface with other regional members and actively participate in regional meetings.
• Serve as the environmental member and/or chair in plant-specific teams.
• Conduct Environmental Reviews and sign off on all new chemicals proposed for use at the facility.
• Ensure that Environmental Services is involved with all written and verbal environmental communication with regulatory
authorities and community members.
• Support headquarters and corporate data needs, including surveys, plant profiles, websites, etc.
• Interface with GM Environmental Audit Team and Legal Staff, as required.
• Meet with plant management staff as often as necessary to ensure customer satisfaction and the achievement of ES
Business Plan goals and objectives.
• Contact plant communication coordinator when confronted with external and media inquiries.
• Support the site's Environmental Management System (EMS) to maintain ISO 14001 certification.
• Ensure conformance to the GM Environmental Performance Criteria.
• Utilize and maintain an Environmental Calendar to ensure timely conformance with all site environmental requirements.
• Assist in maintaining cost controls, and drive cost savings initiatives.
• Provide oversight of contracted services (Resource and Chemical Management Program, GM Regulatory Reporting
Programs, etc.), and validate services to contract provisions.
• Identify specific Plant needs for the Resource Management and Chemical Management program, and assist in writing
and review of bid specifications.
• Establish performance goals for contract services, and monitor performance to targets.
• Manage site-specific activities that impact the Environmental Services budget, e.g., RM Contract, Lab Contract, etc.
• Actively promote the Facility Area Manager single point of contact process and insure solid center of service
• Understand GM GMS principles and integrate environmental needs into this system where feasible.
• Actively participate in Regional and HQ Environmental meetings, and associated Subject Matter Expert/Leader activities.
• Identify and promote actions to drive Pollution Prevention activities
• Support Corporate Goals, i.e., Reduce Non-Recycled Waste, etc.
•Initiate and implement environmental projects and programs
• Assist and/or prepare specifications and/or design drawings to implement environmental projects and meet schedules as
• Coordinate activities to ensure appropriate interface with the project customer group.
• Conduct Environmental Review and Sign off on facility projects and equipment removal projects at facility.
• College degree with a major in engineering or related sciences with emphasis on environmental engineering.
• 2 + years of experience in environmental engineering or related science preferably at a manufacturing operation.
• CHMM or PE certification preferred.
• Able to relocate in the continental United States.
• Able to travel occasionally.
• Demonstrated ability to work in teams.
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and plan team activities.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated analytical ability to work somewhat independently, investigate complex environmental problems and to apply technical judgment and resolve environmental problems.
• Basic understanding of current environmental laws and regulations.
• Ability to negotiate with federal, state, and local agencies.
• Computer skills including competency in electronic information systems.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.